KBR is seeking a System Characterization/Calibration Engineer to join its talented team in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. KBR, headquartered in Houston, Texas, is the primary contractor to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) for performing work at the Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/) near Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.siouxfalls.org).
The System Characterization/Calibration Engineer for Landsat Calibration Validation (CalVal) activities is responsible for executing the Sensor Geometric and Spatial Characterization and Calibration of the Landsat 1-9 satellites.
- Ensure the geometry of Landsat data are continually and promptly monitored, measured, and calibrated
- Ensure that the IAS trending database is correctly updated for each calibration
- Develop tools and algorithms to assist in Landsat data and instrument calibrations
- Test and distribute Calibration Parameter Files on a quarterly basis
- Characterize the geometric performance of the Landsat instruments to ensure that all geometric requirements are being met
- Report on the quality of Landsat data as required
- Ensure the quality of the data in the Landsat archive
- Present Landsat geometry status at assigned meetings and regular updates for the Landsat Program Management
- Answer user services questions regarding Landsat data
- Process data for public relations requests that come from USGS Project Management
- Provide geometric data quality expertise to the Landsat Project anomaly resolution teams
- Write and publish white papers and journal articles as needed
- Participate in peer reviews
- Perform characterization of non-Landsat systems in support of interoperability activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Landsat CalVal Team Lead
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in an engineering role preferred but not required
- Preference will be given to anyone with experience in satellite ground systems, remote sensing data capture, processing, archive, distribution, and scientific applications.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, System Characterization, Signal Processing, System Calibration, Photogrammetry, Geodesy, Mathematics, or Satellite Systems
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, System Characterization, Signal Processing, System Calibration, Photogrammetry, Geodesy, Mathematics, and / or Satellite Systems is desired
- Knowledge of image/signal processing, and statistical analysis fundamentals required
- Ability to develop image and signal processing techniques and tools
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to think independently
- Ability to handle complex multitask environments
- Experience in writing SQL queries
- Programming skills in Python, IDL, or Matlab and in C or C++
- Familiarity with configuration management principles and procedures
- Knowledge of geodesy, system calibration/characterization, satellite systems, and remote sensing
- Thorough understanding of view angle geometries and/or orbital geometry
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
The candidate must have prior 3 year US residency.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the KBR website (www.kbr.com/careers). This position may be filled by a KBR teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply on line.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.