We are seeking dynamic, customer-focused Patron Experience Associates to provide frontline library service to the diverse and growing residents of Jefferson County and beyond. Helping people find the information they need – whether it be what to read next, how to download an e-book or how to find a job – is what we do all day, every day. If you’re passionate about providing outstanding customer service, serving your community, and are ready to contribute to the Library’s success, then this may be the job for you!
This is a quarterly job posting for various Patron Experience Associate positions:
Part Time, Full Time, Bilingual (Spanish/English), Substitutes, Ambassadors and Core Services.
Substitutes support daily service delivery to library patrons in the absence of location Librarians and Associates. Substitutes are on-call, non-benefitted, temporary staff who may work at any of JCPL’s ten locations, the Call Center or the Bookmobile (Library To You) up to a maximum of 25 hours per week. Schedules may be arranged in advance or for last minute needs. Shifts may include days, evenings, weekends, or holidays.
Ambassadors are Patron Experience Associates with the desire and ability to work at all of JCPL’s ten locations, the Call Center and the Bookmobile (Library To You). This position generally reports out of Arvada Library.
Core Service positions are for Kids and Families (housed in Wheat Ridge) and Adult Services (housed at Standley Lake Library).
Call Center Associates are located out of Lakewood Library and will be providing information and referral resource for patrons via email and phone communication. They are also a collaborative member of the Digital Experience team
Bilingual (Spanish/English) positions require a Spanish fluency of advanced or higher.
Vacancies open throughout the year at various locations: Standley Lake, Arvada, Edgewater, Golden, Lakewood, Belmar, Columbine, Evergreen, Wheat Ridge, Conifer, Bookmobile (Library To You) and Call Center. Library To You and the Call Center are both housed at the Lakewood Library.
Applications for this posting are placed in an applicant pool and will be reviewed as vacancies open. Applications remain active until this job posting closes. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted (by phone or email). An applicant may be interviewed for a Patron Experience Associate position at more than one location.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Provides information, referrals and reader’s advisory assistance to patrons in person, by phone, mail and via electronic means. Locates materials using manual and electronic databases in JCPL, other Library systems and/or other sources. Refers patrons to community resources and other appropriate resources for further information as necessary. Advises patrons about on-line searching. Uses high-level customer service skills to determine patron needs. Creates a positive inviting atmosphere for all patrons. Addresses and resolves complaints from patrons or forwards to appropriate staff as necessary. Promotes and presents programs, classes, workshops both in the Library and off site. Advises and instructs Library patrons in using equipment necessary to access Library resources. May present programming training or classes to the public, both on or off site. Provides quality programs presented in their area of specialty, including off-site locations. Conducts Library tours and community outreach.
- CORE LIBRARY SERVICES: Participates with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives. Under supervision, assists in the development and maintenance of instructional tools, databases and reader’s advisory materials. Routinely provides direct customer service. Assists with evaluating and maintaining the existing collection through recommendations and weeding of materials. Suggests program needs.
- OPERATIONAL ORGANIZATION: Participates in the responsibility for the general appearance and safety of the division and Library as a whole. Assists with collection development and maintenance. Ensures access to all materials both physical and virtual. May create content for the web or social media. Participates in the design and creation of displays, bulletin boards, signs, posters, informational/directional aids and special exhibits. Keeps current on Library policies and procedures relevant to the location and/or Library as a whole. Monitors adherence to policies and procedures and/or communicates policies to patrons as necessary. Stays current on new trends and technologies. May collect, tabulate, maintain data and prepare standardized reports.
- OVERSIGHT: May assist in coordinating the work and schedules of ancillary staff and volunteers. May assume responsibility for the operation of the Library in absence of the Public Services Manager and/or Person in Charge. Takes appropriate action for disturbances and other emergencies.
- Bilingual roles provide Cuentacuentos, story times in Spanish.
- Persons hired in this position must be able to perform all the essential tasks required by the position. The above statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. JCPL retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential and additional functions of the job at any time without notice.
- Position must comply with laws governing patron privacy and confidentiality under CRS24-90-119, and the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association, as well as ADA governing public access to space and technology.
Preferred – 1 year of customer service experience.
Preferred – Public library experience.
Bilingual speaking, reading and writing skills in Spanish/English is required for bilingual positions.
Spanish fluency testing is required for bilingual positions.
Part time positions can fill in extra substitute shifts up to 40 hours per week.