For more than 150 years, Vulcan has been recognized by chefs and operators throughout the world for its top-quality, energy efficient commercial cooking equipment. Our equipment is found in busy kitchens nationwide; target segments include large chain restaurants, emerging/regional chains, independent restaurants, K-12 schools, grocery and hotels/recreation.
Vulcan is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $14.1 billion in 2019.
To conceive, design, develop, and maintain products to achieve business unit and corporate goals.
Support and/or complete medium to high level, complex engineering tasks/projects as assigned to meet business objectives and product lines for the food service industry.
BS in Engineering required (BSME preferred).
5+ years engineering experience related to product design and development in a manufacturing environment.
· Adaptable, innovative, problem solving skills, sense of urgency, drive for continuous improvement.
· Ability to own a product line.
· Ability to manage and logically prioritize multiple tasks.
· 3D modeling using SolidWorks (Sheet Metal Experience preferred).
· Effective oral/written communication, listening skills, attention to detail.
· Capable of working through an engineering problem independently.
· Project focus:
o Ability to plan.
o Ability to clearly present design options.
o Ability to evaluate cost, schedule, and technical variables.
· Applicable computer skills using Microsoft Suite.
· Organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Knowledge of various manufacturing processes: machining, metal forming,
· Adherence to standards, policies, and practices including safety and regulatory
· Scientific approach, diligence in data gathering.
· Basic shop skills, experience, ability to prototype.
· Demonstrated record of resourcefulness, creativity, and innovation.
· Working knowledge of thermodynamic concepts.
· Experience with value engineering, cost/benefit analysis, cost improvement.
Familiarity with FMEA, CFD, electrical wiring experience
· Product design and design improvements of cooking equipment including: concept development, design validation, agency approval, print release, manufacturing evaluation, and product launch within a specified project timeline.
· Clearly document and communicate improvements thru Product Change Notices.
· Support and lead opportunities for product line simplification, in-lining, and growth.
· Work closely with Tech Service and Operations to resolve warranty or vendor quality issues.
· Proof of concept and proof of application in a test lab environment.
· Participate in cost reduction projects and track annual cost reduction progress to established corporate goals.
· Issue and support engineering documentation including bill of materials, drawings, work instructions, quality alerts, customer manuals, wiring diagrams, and spec sheets
· Support sales, service, and marketing to resolve customer issues.
· Interact directly with customers, including technical support calls and field site visits.
· Learn and master applicable codes and standards including UL, ANSI, CSA, and NSF.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORKING CONDITIONS: Office & R&D Laboratory Environment
· Travel up to 25%
· Hands on testing and/or trouble shooting
· Lifting up to 50 lbs
· Legally authorized to work in the United States.
· You will work in a team-oriented office and lab environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.