Salary: $55,286.40 – $83,116.80 ANNUALLY
$2,126.40 – $3,196.80 BIWEEKLY
$26.58 – $39.96 HOURLY
Job Type: Full-time
Agency: 595 Iowa Department of Public Safety
Opening Date: JANUARY 29, 2021
Closing Date: MARCH 14, 2021
Point of Contact: Diane Warwick at firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 725-6279.
If you want an opportunity to start a journey with purpose on a high-performance team dedicated to serving and protecting others, join the Iowa Department of Public Safety team. The DPS is Iowa’s premier and accredited law enforcement agency – the home of the Iowa State patrol, Division of Criminal Investigation, Division of Narcotics Enforcement, Division of Intelligence and Fusion, State Fire Marshal’s Office and the DPS Basic Academy. This is far more than a job – it’s an exciting and rewarding career opportunity to serve Iowans with leadership, integrity and professionalism. APPLY NOW!
This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Department of Public Safety.
Please note: This posting is only for the Iowa State Patrol Trooper 2 position. If you wish to apply for the Iowa State Patrol Trooper 1 or Special Agent 2 positions with the Division of Criminal Investigation, a separate application will be required for each position.
As peace officers with statewide jurisdiction, the primary job responsibility of a Trooper 2 is enforcement of motor vehicle laws.
Law Enforcement Responsibilities: (include, but are not limited to)
· Enforces motor vehicle laws to promote safety, reduce accidents and expedite traffic flow.
· Administers medical aid to preserve life, alleviate suffering, minimize injuries, and prepare for transportation to medical facility.
· Responds to and controls civil disorders, disturbances, riots, restores order and protects property and personal safety.
· Relays specimens, vital organs, evidence, personnel, etc., in emergency situations.
· Prepares and testifies in court to present the facts surrounding any civil, criminal or departmental action.
· Determines severity, causation factor(s) of accidents by obtaining documenting evidence, conducting interviews and taking appropriate photographs.
· Provides around-the-clock service to the public and other law enforcement agencies.
MINIMUM HIRING QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants for these positions, in accordance with Iowa Administrative Code 501, Chapter 2 must:
1) Be a United States citizen and a resident of Iowa (or intends to become a resident upon hire).
2) Be at least twenty-two (22) years of age at the time of hire.
3) Possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Iowa (or be able to obtain one upon hire).
4) Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency certificate.
ADDITIONAL HIRING QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
1) Applicants must meet all of the Department of Public Safety’s Minimum Hiring Qualifications.
2) Applicants must successfully complete all ten phases of the Department’s selection process.
3) Applicants must graduate and obtain certification from the Department of Public Safety Academy and the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
Employment with the Department of Public Safety offers you:
· Veterans Preference Points, if applicable
· G.I. Bill benefits for on-the-job training, if applicable
· Exceptional retirement in the Peace Officer Retirement System (POR).
The Municipal Fire & Police Retirement System of Iowa (411) does have an agreement with POR to transfer service. Certain requirements do apply.
· Advanced and continuous on-the-job training.
· State of the art equipment provided by the Department.
· Take-home squad car provided by the Department.
HOW TO APPLY:
** The DPS website is where you begin the application process. You must attach the Official DPS Registration and 81 Form to your NeoGov electronic application. Find this form on the DPS website. Follow all directions carefully. **
You will receive email notification from the Department on the status of your application within 2 weeks of submission. If approved, you will be invited to the Physical Fitness Assessment testing sessions. If not approved, rationale for the decision will be provided to you at that time.
Please Note: The Hiring Agency listed above is responsible for all decisions regarding interviews and hiring. Please contact them if you have questions.
The State of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.