Salary: $45,240 – $67,912.00 ANNUALLY
$1,740.00 – $2,612.00 BIWEEKLY
$21.75 – $32.65 HOURLY
Location: Des Moines 50319 Polk County
Job Type: Full-time
Agency: 595 Iowa Department of Public Safety
Opening Date: JANUARY 29, 2021
Closing Date: MARCH 14, 2021
Point of Contact: Diane Warwick at email@example.com or (515) 725-6279.
** NOTE TO APPLY: The application process begins at the DPS website.
If you want an opportunity to start a journey with purpose on a high-performance team dedicated to serving and protecting others, join the Iowa Department of Public Safety team. The DPS is Iowa’s premier and accredited law enforcement agency- the home of the Iowa State Patrol, division of Criminal Investigation, Division of Narcotics Enforcement, Division of Intelligence and Fusion, State Fire marshal’s Office and the DPS Basic Academy. This is far more than a job – it’s an exciting and rewarding career opportunity to serve Iowans with leadership, integrity and professionalism. APPLY NOW!
This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Department of Public Safety.
Under general supervision, a Trooper 1 assigned to the State Capitol Complex performs community policing, service and law enforcement duties including the regulation of the orderly flow of traffic and preserving the peace in and around the Capitol Complex and at Terrace Hill as a Department of Public Safety certified peace officer.
Law Enforcement Responsibilities: (include, but are not limited to)
· Provides around-the-clock service in, on and around the Capitol Complex and Terrace Hill to promote the safety, security and well-being of the community.
· Conducts preliminary investigations and reports on threats of extortion, bomb threats, thefts, assaults or other criminal activity.
· Patrols assigned areas on foot, bicycle and by vehicle for criminal activity, security, fires, and safety hazards; escorts persons carrying funds for agencies.
· Responds to and controls civil disorders, disturbances and riots; restores order, and protects property and personal safety according to established procedures; provides security and crowd patrol while maintaining self-discipline and objectivity under stressful situations; assists in building evacuations and other safety precautions such as tornado warnings and disaster drills.
· Enforces criminal laws; identifies, detains, and processes wanted individuals; advises the Miranda Warning when applicable, questions and observes suspects and witnesses; accurately records the information obtained; serves arrest warrants and takes individuals into custody as required by the courts or Iowa Code.
· Provides protection and service to Governor and first family and guests while at Terrace Hill complex; provides security for dignitaries and/or other government officials.
MINIMUM HIRING QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants for these positions, in accordance with Iowa Administrative Code 501, Chapter 2 must:
1) Be a United States citizen and a resident of Iowa (or intends to become a resident upon hire).
2) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of hire.
3) Possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Iowa (or be able to obtain one upon hire).
4) Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency certificate.
ADDITIONAL HIRING QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
1) Applicants must meet all of the Department of Public Safety’s Minimum Hiring Qualifications.
2) Applicants must successfully complete all ten phases of the Department’s selection process.
3) Applicants must graduate and obtain certification from the Department of Public Safety Academy and the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
Employment with the Department of Public Safety offers you:
· Veterans Preference Points, if applicable
· G.I. Bill benefits for on-the-job training, if applicable
· Exceptional retirement in the Peace Officer Retirement System (POR).
The Municipal Fire & Police Retirement System of Iowa (411) does have an agreement with POR to transfer service. Certain requirements do apply.
· Advanced and continuous on-the-job training.
· State of the art equipment provided by the Department.
The DPS website is where you begin the application process. You must attach the Official DPS Registratoin and 81 Form to the NeoGov electronic application. Find this form on the DPS website. Follow all directions carefully.
You will receive email notification from the Department on the status of your application within two (2) weeks of submission. If approved, you will be invited to the Physical Fitness Assessment testing sessions. If not approved, rationale for the decision will be provided to you at that time.
Please Note: The Hiring Agency listed above is responsible for all decisions regarding interviews and hiring. Please contact them if you have questions.
The State of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.