Interfolio is on a mission to build smart, inspired and useful products for faculty and academic communities. By building an engine for faculty activity, decisions, and data, Interfolio has become the first mover in defining and owning the category of faculty-focused technology that cultivates goal-oriented collaboration around academic decision-making.
Interfolio operates the first holistic faculty information system to support the full lifecycle of faculty work, from job seeking to review, tenure, sabbatical, committee work, research, and beyond. Offering colleges and universities increased clarity and insight into faculty data to help achieve their strategic initiatives, Interfolio believes that advancing the faculty will advance the institution.
What’s even better than that?
We’ve crafted a fun, collegial, dynamic culture that celebrates team and individual success almost daily. We’ve got a lean team of super-smart, super-hard working, local and remote colleagues who collaborate closely to produce a valuable service for an industry we’re passionate about. And, we genuinely like working with each other and with our clients.
Like what you’ve heard so far?
Then consider joining our Services team! The position of Technical Services Data Engineer is open to remote employees as well as locals in commuting distance to our Washington, D.C. office.
About the Position
The Technical Services Data Integration Engineer is a member of the Interfolio Professional Services team that is responsible for the successful implementation and continued success of our clients.
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for assisting with the design and implementation of an ETL solution to standardize, optimize and scale Interfolio’s data ingestion capabilities. In addition, you will be helping clients design, implement, and optimize data management schemes and practices in adherence to our standardized methods. There will initially be more internal focus as you build and expand our ETL solution, interacting with product engineering to help define API use cases and our team’s requirements. There will be continued opportunities to migrate clients from the legacy system to the new tool. As you gain experience, consulting will be a key aspect of this role; working directly with clients on implementing API-based integrations, best practices, and data management.
- Key member of the Technical Services Team responsible for building a data load system using an ETL platform (Matillion) with existing APIs and new constructs
- Provide effective technical designs that align with industry best practices and client requirements
- Work collaboratively with clients to understand, adhere to, and adopt data integration methodologies & formatting
- During client activities, drive delivery, own communications, and be the main point of contact for Technical Services; focused on client delight and success
- Implement data extraction & insertion procedures
- Maintain documentation including process flow diagrams, test cases, best practices, technical requirements, playbooks, and standard operating procedures
- Work effectively with our internal and external clients to ensure timely delivery of implementation and ongoing tasks
- Build and foster strong relationships with all levels of technical and non-technical staff at client institutions
- Identify, recognize, and proactively act on opportunities for improvement in order to advance business process goals
- Ability to identify challenges, accept and implement change, and quickly adapt to dynamic situations
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- Experience architecting and delivering ETL data load services using Matillion, Pentaho, Talend or similar
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of relational database and SQL experience, ideally on Postgres and Snowflake
- Understanding of fundamental object-oriented software engineering, including data structures and programming constructs
- Basic understanding of internet protocols, networks, APIs, and related technologies: HTTP, REST, and Soap web services
- Excellent customer communication and project management skills
- 2+ years of customer-facing experience
- Experience developing cloud solutions
- Experience building tools for data analysis
- ETL platform experience (Matillion preferred), SQL and Python experience
In addition to a competitive salary, Interfolio offers a robust benefits package that includes medical insurance, unlimited PTO, a yearly wellness benefit stipend, a yearly professional development stipend, 401k, and professional development opportunities.
Our culture sets us apart—we look forward to sharing more about our company and our team!
Interfolio is committed to diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national, social or ethnic origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any status protected by the laws or regulations in locations where we operate.