The Institute of Defense Analyses (IDA) in La Jolla, CA has an immediate career opening for a Systems Administrator II. This opening is located at IDA’s Center for Communications Research in La Jolla, California (CCR-L).
We are seeking a Systems Administrator II to provide system administration and programming support for CCR La Jolla, in a primarily Linux-based research computing environment. The Systems Administrator II will assist in the design and provide technical support, administration and maintenance of network and server systems and services. Although the main focus is on system administration, there will also be opportunities to help users with application software development. Due to the nature of this position, and the requirement for extended coverage, this position may occasionally be required to work hours outside of a regular schedule. #ITatIDA
1. Installs and configures Linux on desktop and server systems. Builds new physical and virtual systems to design specifications and follows proper disposal procedures for retired systems.
2. Installs and manages VMware virtual servers.
3. Applies patches, updates system software, and maintains configuration control. Conducts regular system maintenance to include monitoring, tuning, capacity planning, and adjusting configurations as necessary to resolve problems, minimize downtime, and to enhance capabilities.
4. Writes and maintains scripts written in shell, Perl, PHP and other languages.
5. Automates system administration tasks.
6. Manages user accounts, assists users with their computing needs.
7. Recognizes security vulnerabilities and develops ways to mitigate them. Ensures all systems meet or exceed the intended business and security requirements and comply with IDA’s minimum configuration standard and configuration management guidelines.
8. Assists in system certification and accreditation. Assists in maintaining technical documentation libraries, to include the development and publication of standard operating procedures for systems and processes under their control.
9. Builds software from source.
10. Configures and manages web servers and databases, including MySQL.
11. Installs and maintains backup and recovery systems. Works with senior analysts when necessary to quickly resolve critical system or service outages. Escalates issues as needed.
12. Installs and configures switches, routers, and network security systems.
13. Diagnoses and solves networking problems, including packet and protocol analysis when necessary.
14. Maintains documentation and records.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a similar field coupled with four or more years of system administration (three or more years with Linux) OR high school coupled with six year or more years of system administration (three or more years with Linux).
• Experience with open source tools including VMWare, Apache, MySQL, Perl, PHP, GNU utilities and understanding of Ethernet, TCP/IP, and related network protocols.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form and with all levels of employees; possess good interpersonal skills.
• Project management experience a plus.
• Must be willing to work hours outside of a regular schedule.
• CompTIA Security+ or equivalent security certification.
• Current TS/SCI with lifestyle polygraph clearance preferred.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
Equal Opportunity Employer