The Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is currently seeking talented candidates for a Chief of Operations (COO) role at our Silver Springs, NV location. At NATC, our COO works directly with a team intent on supporting the design, manufacturing, and testing of innovative automotive mobility solutions.
Founded in 1957, the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) is a private family owned, independent test, evaluation, design and engineering facility offering development and certification testing to customers worldwide. We have substantial international experience, which allows us to evaluate products intended for global markets knowledgeably and objectively. NATC has compiled an extensive database of worldwide operational and infrastructure conditions allowing accurate definition of user duty cycles and creation of test programs that are representative of service environments around the world. NATC is a leading innovator in translating real-world conditions into validated virtual proving ground simulation and virtual prototyping.
NATC’s location in the Great Basin of Nevada allows our team to access terrain that can represent 85% of the world within a 150 mile radius, providing an excellent test bed for off-road mobility. NATC’s operational area includes 1200 sq. miles of natural terrain, that when coupled with 6,200 acres of privately owned test courses, create an unparalleled testing area available to our engineers to innovate and solve our customer’s problems.
The Chief of Operations (COO) leads operations activities by actively being involved in all support activities, facility requirements and operations management for NATC projects. . The COO supervises Business Development, Technical Resources, and to ensure the projects are completed within budgetary and scheduling constraints while meeting the technical requirements of each respective customer.
The COO, in direct report to the corporate officers, assists in developing and executing the vision, goals and focus for the company as a whole. The COO practices the company’s values to assist in promoting the intended culture and environment. The COO informs the corporate officers and executes decisions with regards to the operational interests for the company. The COO assists in identifying and understanding industry trends in order to inform decisions on the company’s current and future core competencies.
The COO should have extensive experience as a manager, having supervised various teams in the completion of complex technical projects. The COO should also have extensive engineering experience, and be able to apply in-depth knowledge across multi-disciplines of engineering, facilities, relevant to the company.
As part of the application process, the COO applicants will be asked to communicate their “Plan of Action” in order to convey their understanding of this position, the business environment, and how they foresee executing the roles and responsibilities associated with this position, through in-person presentation or written means.
- Directly supervises Technician Resource Managers, Facilities, and Business Development Managers and delegates tasks appropriately.
- Manages quality control checks on processes within Operations to ensure operations are completed within budgetary and scheduling constraints while meeting the technical requirements of each respective customer.
- Provides technical and strategic guidance to the operations department, including vehicle maintenance, instrumentation, data processing, and other technical support functions.
- Communicates the vision and goals of the company to the operations department and creates processes to implement the vision within this department.
- Establishes and develops relationships with key customers/ clients.
- Able to represent the company in good manner at meetings, conferences, and other events, as necessary.
- Reviews and presents project/proposal budgets along with associated operations and technical resource allocation, when necessary.
- Ensures company policies and guidelines, as set forth in the Corporate Safety Policy are followed; maintains a safe and clean work environment; collaborates with Managers to ensure compliance with OSHA, local, state and federal regulations.
- Supports coordination with legal and professional contractors in managing rights, permits, leases and issues associated with Company holdings for the beneficial use and retention for Company use.
- Coordinates the allocation of technical resources according to overall priority within the company, and de-conflicts resource shortages based on demand, prioritization, and feasibility of successful task completion.
- Informs the financial and operations company officers of operations department project status and needs.
- Monitors reliability and performance of all internal systems to suggest improvement to the company officers.
- Participates in the review process for applicable employees in a timely manner.
- Other tasks as assigned by the corporate officers.
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant Engineering field (Master’s degree preferable).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the engineering test environment.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Nevada Driver’s License.
- Able to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Must have extensive systems level automotive knowledge.
- Must be able to implement safety policies and procedures in the workplace
- Must have strong computer skills; specifically MS Office applications, including MS Project.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision.
- Must have superior budgeting and cost management abilities.
- Must be able to collaborate and bridge the communications gap between service technicians, business managers, and engineers/clients, interfacing with each.
- Must have outstanding problem solving and analysis skills in order to troubleshoot a variety of projects.
- Must have outstanding project and team management skills.
- Must have a sound understanding of engineering principles.
- Must have the ability to maintain a positive attitude and promote the company’s intended culture and environment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication.
- Must be able to delegate efficiently and effectively.
- Must have extensive industry knowledge with an ability to observe and analyze trends in the company’s relative fields.
- Must have the ability to process negative feedback and remain professional.
- Must have the ability to hire senior level managerial roles for the operations department of the company when necessary, and coordinate their training.
Provides management oversite to Technician Resource Managers, Facilities, and Business Development Managers for project goals, schedule, staffing, and budget expectation and project adjustments to attain corporate schedule and budget goals. Provides technical supervision to Technician Resource Managers, Facilities, and Business Development Managers.
Work is regularly performed on-site in Silver Springs, Nevada, in a combination of office, outdoor, and shop environments and is regularly exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes, and noise.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time salaried position. Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. However, the position requires overnight on-call duty and the ability to work during non-standard hours when the need arises.
Travel is expected for this position.
It is the purpose of the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) to pioneer value-added technical solutions with knowledge, excellence and integrity for our worldwide transportation partners, through personal commitment.
It is the responsibility of all NATC employees to follow adopted safety policies and procedures and to take part in protecting themselves, their coworkers and the organization
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors.
This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee’s employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.