At Haynes and Boone, our people are the driving force behind our success. Because we value the role every individual plays in how we deliver exceptional legal services, we hire people who will contribute to our professional reputation, enhance client relationships and share in our success.
This non-exempt position provides tactical support in the execution of a wide variety of business development efforts and initiatives including pitch books, presentations, proposals, research, content administration, marketing communications, events and practice group coordination.
Pitch Books, Presentations and Proposals:
- Assisting with the creation, tailoring, and production of pitch books, presentations and proposals and tracking relevant information in the firm’s pitch book and proposal databases.
- Coordinating the capturing of revisions made to lawyer resumes, practice descriptions and experience records in the course of preparing a pitch book or proposal and applying any permanent updates to the business development documents and databases. Identifying and recommending newly drafted content that should be culled from pitch books and proposals and added to the business development databases.
- Conducting company, client, industry, competitor, and industry trends research using the firm’s research tools and internal databases to assist the Business Development Managers (BDMs) with business development efforts. Liaison with the department’s Competitive Intelligence Group on firm research projects.
- Coordinating the regular updating of lawyer resumes, practice group overviews, deal and case charts, representative client lists, and other materials.
- Supporting the collection of experience from attorneys and practice groups for inclusion in the firm’s business development databases. Ensure experience submissions meet the firm’s style standards.
- Preparing draft submissions for key directory rankings, awards and league tables.
- Maintaining and updating practice group distribution and event lists in the firm’s customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- Updating the firm’s CRM system to track new and developing business as directed by the BDMs.
- Working with the BDMs and marketing operations colleagues to leverage collected experience by distributing information through multiple communications channels, e.g., website, press releases, social media, and directory submissions.
- Coordinating the preparation and development of internal newsletters and external client communications.
- Proofreading various marketing communication pieces.
- Assisting BDMs with various business development events and sponsorships by coordinating with the firm’s event specialists and graphic designer on event logistics, invitation list creation and updating, invitation design, event material preparation, reminders, and follow-up communications.
- Assisting the BDMs and Event Specialist during the event.
- Updating firm’s CRM system to track post-event follow-up and return on investment.
Practice Group Coordination:
- Coordinating all aspects of practice group and client team business development meetings. Preparing and circulating relevant pre/post meeting materials.
- Reviewing and updating periodic accounting reports.
- Assist BDMs with the creation of annual business development section budgets.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The BD Coordinator reports directly to the Business Development Manager with a dotted line relationship to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Subordinate staff: N/A
One or more years of work experience in professional services, marketing/business development or corporate communications preferred. Strong computer proficiency is a must, with particular knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Excellent communication skills, including listening, writing, proofreading and editing, and a superior attention to detail. Strong work ethic and positive client service orientation. Enthusiasm and dedication to the development of a professional services business development career. Ability to learn new software such as InterAction, Vuture and a variety of competitive and business intelligence tools is required. Must be able to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines. Must be poised and able to exhibit professional diplomacy amid high stress situation. Strong teamwork skills and ability to take ownership of numerous assigned tasks.
Must be able to move around the office up to 15% of the time to make copies, fax, file, etc. Remains stationary at least 85% of the time. When coordinating/attending special events, might be required to move around up to 100% of the time. This position constantly operates computers, printers and other office productivity machines (e.g., fax machine, copier, etc.) Occasionally required to move documents or files weighing up to 15 lbs. This position requires constant communication and exchange of information with the firm attorneys, vendors, clients and staff. This position must be able to inspect and observe information on a computer screen at least 80% of the time.
Office Environment. Overtime and occasional travel required.