Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Supervisor works independently to ensure that all day-to-day operations are carried out effectively in the Small Animal Unit, and in conjunction with the Research Staff/Investigators to makes sure that resources are allocated and performed to meet all research needs. The Supervisor performs, works together with and directs the work of the Animal/Research Technicians to ensure completion of critical animal care functions and to coordinate alternative arrangements for completion of necessary duties when needed, including Center closures.
In addition, this position works with the Research Staff/Investigators to ensure that appropriate operating protocols and training are in place, and that the staff and resources of the Small Animal Unit are appropriately integrated and utilized within Animal Health Resources.
The Animal Technician Supervisor is classified as essential personnel and, as such, is required to work with minimal amount of absences and during all Center closures except in the event of a major disaster when access to animal housing and use facilities is prohibited by governmental emergency personnel.
- Work with the Research Staff/Investigators to provide leadership and oversight to the Small Animal Unit
- Perform duties/procedures, supervise and assign duties/procedures to Animal/Research Technician, and in coordination with Animal/Research Technician, supervise and assign duties to Technicians. Work with Technicians to set priorities, plan schedules, and insure that proper sanitation, housing, husbandry and preventative health care of animals and safety procedures are in compliance with established procedures.
- Interact with Research Staff/Investigators and research technicians to meet their animal care and service needs. Assist with surgical procedures and assist investigators with a variety of technical duties associated with research protocols. Inform Research Staff/Investigators of animal health status, obtain permission to treat when necessary and refer animal health reports and investigator questions to veterinarian. Work with the Research Staff/Investigators, to monitor animal treatment records, insure that all treatment regimens are carried out, observe treated animals daily, communicate changes in condition or complications to veterinarian, route paperwork appropriately and maintain file of animals on treatment.
- Keep informed of current animal welfare legislation and guidelines and monitor all animal care areas to assure compliance with established standards. Coordinate IACUC inspection assignments and assist with preparing post inspection reports.
- Review and modify as needed quality assurance programs for existing colonies of all animals housed on site, including evaluations for disease and genetic integrity
- Work on-call, weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor of Sciences degree in a medical, biological or allied field
- Minimum of three years of relevant veterinary experience
- Minimum of three years of relevant supervisory and managerial experience
- Excellent leadership and management skills with demonstrated ability to lead a diverse group of individual performers in delivering services
- Demonstrated understanding of basic accounting, budget management, and financial analyses
- Demonstrated understanding of federal and institutional animal welfare laws and policies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including basic spreadsheet creation, database use and manipulation
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment, and master new skill sets quickly
- Commitment to promote and support a collegial and supportive work environment for all staff
- AALAS laboratory animal technician certification is desirable, with preference given to candidates who are certified at the LATg level
- Maintenance of a valid Washington State Driver’s License
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.