Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
As a member of Fred Hutch’s Communications & Marketing Department, the communications specialist plays an integral role in supporting and executing Fred Hutch’s communications strategy. Reporting to the communications manager, the position is primarily responsible for assisting the team with proactive external communications campaigns and managing inbound requests while maintaining high-quality media monitoring and reporting systems. You’ll partner with colleagues in employee communications, marketing, content and web design, and work across the organization in both the scientific and administrative divisions on integrated communications and marketing initiatives.
- Support media opportunities, including screening media requests and identifying proactive opportunities as well as staffing and managing interviews
- Develop and update project trackers, media lists, editorial calendars, coverage reports and media relations webpage
- Assist communications team in drafting content, including: news releases, briefing materials, social media posts and media coverage reports
- Establish and maintain relationships with traditional and digital media
- Support high-visibility, integrated communications and marketing announcements and campaigns across earned and owned channels
- Coordinate and participate in communications trainings for individuals and teams across the campus
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of media relations or other communication experience. Additional years of related experience may be considered in lieu of degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Strong writing, editing and verbal communications skills and familiarity with AP style (be prepared to share writing samples)
- Basic working knowledge of media relations, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) and basic marketing principles
- Preference given to candidates with health sciences, technology and/or nonprofit experience
- Experience using project management and media tracking tools (Cision, Asana, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex information (science, research, technology) into compelling stories and message points
- Experience producing online content and amplifying stories and campaigns through digital channels and social media
- Awareness of local, regional, trade and national reporters covering science, health care and technology
- Strong connection to the Fred Hutch mission and health sciences
- Experience generating content for multiple audiences including those curious about science, disease prevention, health care and supporting mission-based organizations
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills; basic understanding of/experience with creation and delivery of clear and persuasive communications for varying audiences
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively within and across teams
- Demonstrate a responsive, customer service ethic
- Rapid responder to media and internal stakeholders outside of traditional business hours and across time zones
- Interest in attending and covering occasional events outside of normal office hours
- Organized self-starter comfortable with ambiguity and complexity
- Experience tracking and managing multiple projects with differing priorities and deadlines
- Analytical approach and creative problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working across all levels of the organization and with a diverse group of stakeholders and across different subject areas
A Cover Letter is required as a part of the application process.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.