Under the supervision of the County Administrator, this position is responsible for developing, administering and enforcing the Franklin County Zoning and Subdivision Regulations; Comprehensive Plan; Building and Sanitation Codes/ Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Insurance Program and 911 Addressing. Will also assist and advise all incorporated Cities within Franklin County on land use issues and planning regulations.
- Enforce and maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to a Comprehensive Plan, subdivisions, zoning, building codes, sanitation codes, FEMA Flood Insurance Program and 911 addressing, and land use issues;
- Supervise, evaluate and train department personnel in the Planning, Building and Environmental Health/Sanitation Departments in accordance with County Policy;
- Consult and advise the County Administrator and Board of County Commissioners on matters relating to overall department operations;
- Perform public education, speaking and outreach when new projects are being implemented and for ongoing activities;
- Research equipment for purchase or programs to support, prepare bid specifications, determine cost alternatives and provide recommendations;
- Receive and assist applicants with their applications for preliminary and final subdivision plats, rezoning and special use permits, variances and other land use issues;
- Prepare and ensure all public notices of matters requiring public notice are completed pursuant to Kansas Statutes and County Regulations;
- Prepare all Staff Reports and required resolutions for amendments to the County Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Regulations, Subdivision Regulations, Sanitation Code and Building Code and submit to the Planning Commission, County Administrator and Board of County Commissioners;
- Assist applicants with application requirements and procedures to be considered by the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and Building Code Board of Appeals;
- Respond to public inquiries regarding Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Regulations, Subdivision Regulations, Building and Sanitation Codes, Floodplain Development Regulations and other land use planning related issues;
- Attend and participate in Planning, Zoning and related land use development programs and meetings and related duties as deemed necessary or as required by the Planning Commission, Board of County Commissioners and County Administrator;
- Maintain County Comprehensive Plan, Zoning and Subdivision Regulations, Sanitation and Building Codes, and provide copies to the public upon request;
- Issue building permits and occupancy permits for all non-agricultural structures including issuing and maintaining addresses for all developments and properties located in the unincorporated areas of Franklin County;
- Maintain operations of the County Centropolis Sewer District;
- Maintain involvement with the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) and assists with coordinating relevant areas of land use policies and the Emergency Management Plan;
- Assist County Administrator with the Department Budget;
- Facilitate in the appointment of the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and Building Code Board of Appeals members with the County Administrator and the Board of County Commissioners as terms expire or become vacant.
- Performs building inspections in the absence of the Building Official;
- Performs sanitation inspections in the absence of the County Sanitarian;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Directs the overall operation, coordination and evaluation of a department or function;
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Supervising may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
· KPERS Retirement: Fully vested after 5 years, then paycheck for life
· State of Kansas Health Plan
o BlueCross BlueShield or Aetna
o Delta Dental
o Surency Vision
· County Paid Life Insurance
· Optional Additional Life Insurance
· Learning Quest 529 Education Saving Plan
· Vacation Time – Earn up to 240 hours
· Sick Time – Earn up to 480 hours
For more information or questions, please contact Christina Sebol at 785-229-3448 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!