About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches over 500,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
The Accounting Coordinator is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Accounting department while constantly interacting with other departments and members regarding First Book’s receivables and payables. This position will provide some support for receivables and collections but will mostly focus on all aspects of the payables process of the organization. The position demands the highest attention to detail, analytical and creative thinking, and basic understanding of accounting principles, good understanding of Excel, and excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the overall improvement of payables policies and procedures.
• Enter high volume of invoices in two accounting systems (pending transition to one system).
• Ensure accuracy and completeness of all payables processes (invoices accuracy, approvals, GL coding, etc.)
• Prepare payables batches for payment processing.
• Monitor and flag bills due for payment.
• Resolve discrepancies with payments and vendor inquires.
• Maintain payable’s files.
• Maintain fixed assets information and schedule.
• Process 1099’s and W-9’s.
• Complete vendor applications.
• Assist with the payable’s implementation and testing of new Accounting Seed Software.
• Verify all vendors information (New vendor forms, New payment information per procedures)
• Proactively promote cost savings and limiting fees by monitoring discount opportunities and aging schedules.
• Process member submitted purchase orders (PO) within 2 business days.
• Track any outstanding PO order issues so they can be addressed by Finance.
• Release approved PO orders through the First Book Marketplace.
• Communicate with members and/or accounts payable offices about discrepancies and concerns regarding submitted purchase orders.
• Assist with collection efforts by reaching out to members with outstanding invoices.
• Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
• Other tasks as assigned to support to the Accounting Department.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Must be detail-oriented.
• Must have strong working knowledge of computerized accounting software, including Accounting Software and Excel. Sales Force and/or Accounting Seed experience preferred.
• Must be able to perform accurate work in a fast-paced environment.
• Must possess excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Must be self-motivated and energetic.
• Must have strong, professional interpersonal skills and be willing and skillful in interacting with a wide variety of people.
Pleasant and patient phone manner:
• Must be knowledgeable in the use and operation of standard office equipment.
• Must be dependable and punctual.
• Must understand and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or Mathematics related fields required or an Associate’s degree plus equivalent experience.
• A Minimum of one year of related payables work experience required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required.
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.