Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole!
Fermilab is seeking a Senior Managing Editor. Under general direction, leads the overall editorial and publication strategy for Fermilab internal and external newsletters targeting a variety of key audiences. Manages a staff of freelance writers in the ideation, scheduling, development, production, editing, design and distribution of electronic communication news engines. Serves as key point of contact and coordination for the news team, working in concert with the entire Office of Communication as well as key stakeholders, both internal and external to Fermilab, including Laboratory management, employees and/or citizens of neighboring communities.
- Lead the overall editorial and publication strategy for Fermilab internal and external newsletters targeting a variety of key audiences.
- Manage a staff of freelance writers in the ideation, scheduling, development, production, editing, design and distribution of electronic communication news engines.
- Produce, edit, lays out and distributes electronic and print publications and websites using knowledge of a variety of software packages (i.e. WordPress, Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop).
- Serve as key point of contact and coordination for the news team, working in concert with the entire Office of Communication as well as key stakeholders, both internal and external to Fermilab, including Laboratory management, employees and/or citizens of neighboring communities.
- Develop story ideas, conduct interviews and research information in preparation of written communication. Guides the Laboratory senior management in many aspects of internal and external communication including messaging, news articles and data analytics.
- Advise and coordinate with the Laboratory Divisions/Sections/Centers on news strategy and holds regular cross-lab story pitch forums.
- Work with Office of Communication staff members to develop online publications and multimedia content to support stories.
- Abide by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
- Lead the production of electronic publications and websites, including collaborating with freelance writers, graphic designers and web designers, writing, editing and proofreading copy and overseeing daily news sites.
- Interact with authors and other individuals to obtain graphics, illustrations, drawings, charts, photographs or video for inclusion in stories and other publications.
- Lead internship programs including selecting and supervising interns where appropriate.
- Implement communication strategies in collaboration and coordination with team members, scientists or employees engaged in the project and appropriate offices within governmental funding agencies, collaborating academic institutions and national laboratories.
- Develop communication networks and organizes and attends communication workshops.
- Builds and maintains a work environment that promotes collaboration, performance, feedback, recognition, mutual respect, and employee engagement.
- Partner with the Office of Communication to recruit, select, and retain highly qualified and diverse freelance writing staff.
- Establish and ensure an open and encouraging working environment where staff report issues and concerns.
- Contribute to meeting present and future needs by building new competencies and supporting long-term staff development.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of progressive experience in communications-related positions including 3 years in a managing editor role for an organizational news team. MBA or master’s degree in communications-related field preferred. Science background strongly preferred. Candidates with a master’s degree may have a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in communications-related positions, although more than 5 years is preferred. Candidate must be self-motivated and self-directed while integrating direction and preferences from the leadership team into the execution of all tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required
- Experience working with senior leaders or executives and the confidence to fulfill urgent requests in a timely and professional manner are essential.
- Candidate must possess the ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and lead a team in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work both independently and with all levels of staff in a team-based environment.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills and the ability to develop and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated experience working in a research or scientific environment and ability to translate complex technical concepts into language easily comprehensible to non-specialists, preferred.
- Previous experience in people-focused communications and promoting a strong institutional culture is preferred.
In order to be considered for this position, all candidates must submit 3 to 5 articles of your writing and editing samples.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions Human Factors
Sitting, Visually Demanding (extensive computer use), Mental Concentration, Tight Deadlines
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.