Director of Operations, Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Required/Preferred
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our goal is to provide students with curriculum and instruction that is both standards-aligned curriculum and culturally responsive. Our approach is designed to provide the conditions to nurture students as critical thinkers and natural problem-solvers. As an organization we are committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems and structures that perpetuate white supremacy. We intentionally seek to build and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive—we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We envision a pathway to equity that features outstanding curriculum and instruction as well as ample opportunities for students to achieve success in and out of the classroom. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
Explore Schools seeks an experienced school operations leader to join one of our schools. You have a proven track record of implementing and maintaining clear operational systems within a school, and leading a team. You excel in collaborating with leaders and cultivating strong relationships with vendors, and across teams. This is an amazing opportunity for someone looking to contribute to a small charter school network as we refine our best practices.
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Data-driven: experienced in using data to strategically assess and drive operational and financial decisions
- Excellent communication skills with diverse stakeholders (teachers, parents, guardians, students, etc.); clear writer, facilitator, and public speaker
- Demonstrated leader: experience managing staff towards results and holding staff accountable
- Technological proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, QuickBooks, and other financial management and HR software
- Minimum three years of experience in operations with at least two years of management experience; charter school experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Director of Operations implements and maintains clear systems in all matters of school administration outside of instruction and student behavior. This work includes developing and refining strategic short-term and long-term goals that guide and supervise the work of the whole operations team responsible for overseeing the school budget, analyzing school data, administration, technology, facilities, compliance and general school operations in order to support student achievement. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise, support and evaluate the operations team
- Partner with the network Operations Team to create and continuously improve a comprehensive strategy for school based operations and logistics that supports the mission of school based operations: to proactively anticipate and meet the needs of teachers and academic leadership
- Facilitate all aspects of the co-location relationship in collaboration with school principal
- Execute on the organizations vision for Operations
- Actively engage in identity work and necessary conversations in order to dismantle white supremacy culture
- Oversee cash management for school, including holding exclusive online access to checking and money market accounts for the purpose of managing school cash
- Serve as back-up signatory on school checking and money market accounts
- Oversee the creation and management of coverage schedules for duties including, but not limited to: breakfast, lunch, hallways, testing, and dismissal.
- Maintain monthly staff and Explore event calendars
- Oversee school-based compliance and reporting
- Collaborate with the Principal to prepare for authorizer and state site visits,
- Write and oversee distribution of school’s official correspondence with families
- Ensure timely notification of school events and all other important information
- Oversee all aspects of the school’s purchasing, inventory, equipment and supplies.
- Collaborate with school leadership to develop and implement action plans for the execution of school-wide events, including: transportation, information dissemination, traffic flow, venue logistics, audiovisual needs, etc.
- Maintain accurate & organized records of student information
Student Health and Safety
- Ensure legally compliant safety procedures are in place, including schedules for fire, evacuation, crisis, bus drills, and school nursing
- Oversee compliance with CPR and AED certifications for staff
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, as needed, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, substitute teaching, lunch & playground duty, or supervision of extracurricular activities
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Explore Schools staff members receive a competitive salary, vacation including network shutdown days, considerable matching of retirement contributions, and more. Additionally, you can expect:
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance
- Professional development: teachers participate in weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and on-going coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive some scholarship towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, and committed to direct and sensitive communication
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
- We’ll be accepting applications for this position from now until April of next year, 2021
Explore Schools is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our network office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn. For this specific role, in-person work is required/preferred. Our schools are currently operating with a hybrid model of both remote and in-person instruction. We’ll be able to share more specifics around work expectations if you are to move forward in the interview process
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.