The Senior Systems and Application Engineer is responsible for supporting EPB’s fiber optic network operations and a multidisciplinary team of engineers working in networking, system administration, telecommunications, and video services. Primary responsibilities include administering and providing subject matter expertise across multiple technologies, systems, and applications, planning and implementing security enhancements, assessing and resolving major incidents, and creating project design overviews for existing services that involve the entire server environment for EPB’s customer facing fiber optic services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position requires high creativity and motivation with demonstrated talent for identifying, scrutinizing, improving, and streamlining complex projects and work processes.
- Leads and designs projects with minimal supervision, implementing best practices for server administration and applications with strong follow-through and initiative.
- Be the subject matter expert that represents the Systems Engineering team on the Change Management Review Board. This includes mentoring Systems Engineers in developing Method of Procedures (MOPs) that are submitted for the board to review.
- Owns and assists in troubleshooting major incident responses to critical events within Operations.
- Identifies, tracks, and develops plans to resolve operational issues/concerns that are not critical in nature.
- Designs and assists with automating of manual processes by utilizing multiple scripting languages.
- Partners with the service design team when implementing/transitioning new products, services, and processes.
- Administrates infrastructure, including databases, malware protection software and other applications.
- Directs and performs all necessary audits and maintenance activity to ensure service levels are sustained, and that systems are optimized and not compromised.
- Develops and maintains system documentation, including diagrams, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and project scopes.
- Performs after-hours support duties to sustain operational systems and service levels – 24/7/365.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical field and 10+ years of experience in system and application administration is preferred.
Must have experience with:
- Server administration of Linux RHEL 6, 7, 8
- Network/protocols like DNS/DHCPv4/v6, Radius, HTTP
- Knowledgeable with VMware virtualization
- Databases/Store like MySQL/MariaDB, DB2, redis, MondgoDB, Memcached
- Web servers (Apache, nginx, WebSphere)
- Monitoring/Performance Metrics (IBM Tivoli Netcool, Nagios, Icinga, Graphite, LibreNMS)
- Scripting languages (PHP, Python, Perl, Netcool Probe Rules, IPL – Impact Policies)
- Security administration best practices
Working knowledge of networking, switches, routers, firewalls, virtualization, and storage networks.
Must have detail-oriented skills used to manage complex systems; excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, presentation, and time management skills.
Must be a self-learner and starter, willing to dig, with the ability to work independently or with teams.
Experience in leading small to medium sized projects (3-5 person team; 1-6 month duration)
Ability to translate technical concepts to a non-technical audience is a plus.
Familiarity with DevOps principles, source control, etc. is a plus.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Fast paced and heavy workload to be expected and must continually meet deadlines. After hours and weekends will be needed for emergency situations; also maintenance activities and on-call will be needed. Will require sitting, typing, communicating, walking, and long hours.