Washington, DC • San Francisco, CA • Tallahassee, FL
Research Associate Position
Economists Incorporated (EI), a leading economic consulting firm, has open Research Associate positions commencing in the summer of 2021 in its Washington, DC, San Francisco, CA, and Tallahassee. FL offices. There are multiple positions available, including one for which fluency in Mandarin is a plus. Research Associate is a two-year position. Afterward, Research Associates are occasionally offered one-year Analyst positions depending on EI’s case needs and Research Associates’ skills.
EI Research Associates have the opportunity to work directly with Ph.D. economists from top universities on a variety of high-profile cases concerning antitrust litigation, mergers and acquisitions, government regulation of the private sector, and general commercial litigation. Recent firm projects include examining the antitrust implications of the vertical integration of health insurers and healthcare providers, determining potential competitive effects of mergers between utility companies, evaluating class certification issues in consumer goods litigation, assessing damages in contract disputes, designing an incentive structure to promote use of renewable energy sources, designing a bidding strategy for participation in an electromagnetic spectrum auction, and assessing the importance of copyright industries (music, motion pictures, publishing, software, etc.) to the U.S. economy. Research Associates gain broad industry exposure and marketable skills in case management, data analysis, and research through responsibilities such as those detailed below:
· Act as a lead Research Associate on one to five cases at a time
· Manage teams of Research Associates
· Organize case research and data analysis
· Work closely with economists on a regular basis
· Work with complex databases and raw client data in Stata, Access, and other programs
· Utilize tools such as Microsoft Excel and ArcGIS for graphical and statistical analysis
· Analyze industry participants and characteristics affecting market competition
· Calculate cost and damages estimates
· Consult with clients and private sources to obtain necessary data
· Investigate industries and companies using online and government resources
· Review litigation and case documents
EI Research Associates are generally outstanding graduates from top colleges and universities with bachelor’s degrees in economics, mathematics, statistics, computer science, finance, or a related field. Prospective candidates must possess a strong academic record, excellent analytical and quantitative skills, and the ability to work effectively in teams. Experience with Microsoft Excel and one or more data analysis programs (such as Stata, SAS, R, or Python) is required. EI Research Associates typically go on to pursue graduate degrees in economics, law, or business at leading universities or continue careers in business analytics and consulting.