This position supervises the Transmission Line Design Team and performs a variety of activities specific to the assessment, design, and construction of new and upgraded EKPC transmission line facilities. In addition, this position is accountable for design standards, quality control, integrity of the design process, development of team expertise, management of contracted resources, and coordinates activities of the design team with stakeholders and other departments.
- Supervises the siting, design, construction support and project management activities for new and upgraded transmission line projects to ensure safety, quality, cost and schedule objectives are met.
- Ensures workgroup members follow appropriate project management processes in the planning and execution of projects, and provides necessary information to aid in forecasting project costs and schedules.
- Ensures workgroup members effectively execute design and activities related to transmission line projects such as project scoping, cost estimate development, project planning, execution, and coordination with stakeholders and project teams.
- Ensures workgroup members coordinate and support line activities and other needed services related to substation or other transmission facility construction or upgrades.
- Oversees and performs various studies required for design of transmission lines and related facilities.
- Recommends and implements design and construction standards and best practices for transmission line projects.
- Works with internal and external customers to address needs related to the design and construction of transmission line projects.
- Leads preparation of plans, specifications, and solicitation of bids for transmission line projects, and the evaluation and selection of proposals.
- Coordinates and oversees the design activities of engineering consultants retained to provide services or supplement the design staff.
- Participates in coordination activities for regulatory approvals for transmission line projects (e.g. Kentucky PSC CPCN, RUS contracts/funding/NEPA requirements, USFS special use permits, ACOE permits, etc.).
- Leads workgroup to ensure engineering and design, route/site selection, production of construction drawings/specifications, and preparation of bills of material for projects are completed consistent with corporate objectives and in accordance with industry, governmental, regulatory, and RUS standards or rules.
- Participates in coordination with foreign utilities and external entities as necessary regarding design activities related to transmission line projects.
- Testifies, as needed, in legal proceedings related to routing, design, and construction activities for EKPC transmission line projects.
- Stays abreast of new developments in relevant technologies, engineering practices and applications, codes, and applicable governmental agency rules and regulations.
- Plans and coordinates work within group and ensures sufficient resources, training, and development necessary to perform assigned work.
- Oversees, guides, motivates, and directs the activities of the workgroup on a regular basis, including conducting performance reviews of the team members.
- Maintains immediate authority and accountability for the workgroup and provides leadership to ensure team goals are accomplished in accordance with business unit and cooperative objectives.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school.
- Registered Professional Engineering license in the Commonwealth of Kentucky required.
- Seven (7) years of related experience required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of transmission line design and construction experience required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of leadership experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Completes Supervisory Training Program within two (2) years and attends ongoing Learning for Leaders training.
- Thorough knowledge of standard electric utility design, construction, and operating practices.
- Demonstrated strong project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to train, motivate, and develop staff is required.
- Knowledge of National Electric Safety Code, National Electric Code, OSHA regulations, RUS specifications and procedures, materials and construction contract specifications and administration.
- Strong computer skills required with proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated expertise in transmission line design and related technical evaluations.
- Ability to train and develop less experienced designers.
- Knowledge of and experience using electric-facility design software (PLSCADD, Microstation, AutoCAD, etc.).
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal) including presentations and public speaking.
- Aptitude for learning new systems/skills.
- Aptitude for, and experience with, engineering/analysis activities.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently; self-motivated/self-directed; strong initiative.
- Must have demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings/schematics/diagrams.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills
- Building a Successful Team
- Decision Making
- Customer Focus
- Aligning Performance for Success
- Planning and Organizing
Conditions of Employment
- Usual office conditions apply to this position with some field work at substation sites where conditions include but are not limited to climbing and walking on uneven terrain.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Some travel within the system and occasional out-of-state, which may be overnight.
- Must wear personal protective equipment.