This posting will remain open until the position is filled. We encourage you to apply early as we will review and consider candidates as they are received.
Engineer I- To assist in providing engineering services for the capital improvement and maintenance of the transmission and/or generation assets of EKPC.
Engineer- To provide and perform engineering services for the capital improvement and maintenance of the transmission and/or generation assets of EKPC. To successfully manage projects in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner.
Senior Engineer- job description is available on our website
- Investigates power quality issues/events and provides technical assistance to Member Cooperatives and internal work groups under direct supervision.
- Assists with development and use of computer programs/applications as needed, (power quality studies, fault studies, coordination, loss evaluations, etc.).
- Assists in the development of detailed drawings for low voltage and control system connections.
- Develops protective relay settings as required for new transmission substations and modifies other existing substation relay settings to maintain adequate system protection under direct supervision.
- Assists with the development of bidding documents, evaluates, and establishes low bidders on substation equipment.
- May coordinate substation control system field testing and modification, phasing tests, and other commissioning and check-out activities at the substation site under direct supervision.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
- Develops reports and work plans which recommend action considering short and long-range objectives, economic and budget considerations, etc.
- Trains and develops less experienced engineers.
- Develops and coordinates individual project work plans and manages through completion taking needed correction action. Informs Supervisor and Department Manager of any major developments or changes in direction of the project.
- Responsible for being knowledgeable of all Departmental, Divisional and Cooperative goals and developing projects that will aid in their achievement.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, NEMA, NEC, NESC, ANSI, IEEE, etc., applicable standards.
- Maintains technical expertise and awareness of field by staying abreast of the industry. Initiates status report for all assigned projects and keeps Management informed on progress.
- Assists in preparing monthly and weekly status reports for the section.
- Manages, with minimal assistance, multiple projects including the preparation of job status reports on projects for review.
- Must have the ability to work with other departmental staff and supervisors in carrying out plans, contracts, etc.
- Collaborates on the preparation of work plans and monitors actual progress of applicable portions, taking any corrective action required.
- Organizes and sponsors training sessions and seminars for Engineer Technicians, construction crews, and other Engineers.
- Prepares work order estimates.
- Prepares cost estimates on projects for submittal to Accounting and Planning Departments.
- Prepares construction specifications and contracts.
- Assists with the creation of corporate standards and specification related to respective expertise.
- Provides technical assistance for department in meeting with public businesses, members, vendors, contractors and other utilities.
- Under guidance, provides engineering assistance for Members and Cooperatives, at large.
- Working knowledge of sound engineering practices and standards.
- Maintains drawings and files concerning department projects.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant RUS procedures, specifications, and applicable standards.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Provides technical support in power quality and system protection areas to other divisions and the member cooperatives to supplement their staff.
- Investigates all technical aspects of power quality in order to apply new ideas or new technology that would improve procedures and results.
- Works with digital computer programs as needed, (power quality studies, fault studies, coordination, loss evaluations, etc.)
- Provides power quality inputs in establishing the arrangement and location of substation facilities.
- Develops detailed drawings for low voltage and control system connections.
- Assists in providing protective relay settings as required for new transmission substations and modifies other existing substation relay settings to maintain optimum system protection.
- Prepares bidding documents, evaluate, and establish low bidders on substation equipment.
- Maintains and coordinates contracts with equipment suppliers and monitors progress, expediting as required to meet schedules.
- Assists in preparation of job status reports on projects for review.
- Prepares cost estimates on certain projects for submittal to Accounting and Planning Departments.
- Coordinates substation control system field testing and modification, phasing tests, and other electrically-related activities at the substation site.
- Collaborates on the preparation of the transmission system work plan and monitor actual progress of applicable portions, taking any corrective action required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school required. Based upon EKPC’s business needs, a specific discipline may be determined upon the posting of this position.
- 0 – 3 years of experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills are required.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with other technical and non-technical contacts, both inside and outside the Cooperative.
- Must have the ability to creatively apply technical skills to projects and activities that will support the attainment of Departmental, Divisional, and Cooperative goals.
- Must have the ability to think logically and creatively and to understand instructions on specific objectives, complex features, and possible solutions.
- Must have the ability to plan, schedule, and conduct and coordinate personal work activities, with limited direction.
- Must have the ability to learn both technical applications and concepts as well as work with various levels of staff and management.
- Must have good assessment and problem solving abilities.
- Knowledge of computer programming and use of common applications is required.
- Must be capable and willing to learn on the job and advance to the next level of engineering responsibility, and to work toward acquiring EIT and PE status.
- Must have an understanding of basic electrical systems and circuitry.
- Previous power systems education or experience preferred.
- Previous experience with logic circuits preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school required. Registered Professional Engineering License in the Commonwealth of Kentucky preferred. Based upon EKPC’s business needs, a specific discipline may be determined upon the posting of this position.
- Four (4) – Seven (7) years of related engineering experience is required with the majority of this experience in the area of the desired Skills/Abilities, preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Most experience should be in power quality and system protection areas.
- Should understand the design of transmission substations and similar facilities.
- Should have an understanding of techniques necessary to perform power quality engineering studies; protective relay application and setting calculations; system fault analysis; and other studies related to system protection.
- Must be able to design relaying schemes to maintain proper system protection under limited supervision.
- Must be able to provide technical assistance to member cooperatives and marketing department staff in analyzing power quality problems.
- Ability to organize and plan work for completion of a major project with limited supervision.
- Written and oral communication skills are essential in order to communicate and document study results.
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Contributing to Team Success
- Decision Making
- Gaining Commitment
- Customer Focus
Conditions of Employment
- This is primarily an inside position with usual office conditions.
- Travel in and outside the system and work outside normal hours may be required.
- Travel may be overnight.
- Work in and around operating Plant and construction environments where environmental demands include: dust, noise, fumes, rough/uneven terrain, extreme temperatures, etc.
- May require extended visits to Power Plant locations for specific plant projects.
- This position often works at heights; regularly lifts up to 20 lbs.; and occasionally lifts up to 50 lbs.
- Travel in and outside the system may be required. Some work outside normal hours with some overnight travel. Subject to emergency call in.