Job Title: Associate Spatial Analyst II/Associate Global Practice Specialist, Spatial Analyst/ Global Practice Specialist I, Spatial Analyst
Department: Center for Digital Acceleration
Reports to: Senior Manager, Digital Products
Date: March 12, 2021
Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
Function of the Position:
The role of the Spatial Analyst is to support the development of both standalone and integrated analytical products that meet the demands of DAI project needs. This position will require knowledge of multiple geographic information systems solutions, including QGIS and ArcGIS, the ability to design high quality cartographic products, and a background in data collection and analysis.
This is a support position within the Center for Digital Acceleration (CDA). It is expected that the position will work across DAI’s business units. The position will be based in Bethesda, MD, though the position may be remote. The Spatial Analyst will be responsible for creating and maintaining a portfolio of demand-driven analytical products, working with internal and external technology teams, and the ICT/Digital team.
The position will also be responsible for knowledge management, ensuring that spatial data is stored and accessible to analysts across the company. This person will be a key member of the CDA team, a team of development technologists leading DAI’s digital business.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Spatial Data Analysis
CDA provides a variety of analytical services to DAI and its clients across multiple sectors, including but not limited to global health, conflict, natural resources, economic growth, and supply chain analysis. The spatial analyst will be expected to:
· Coordinate with project staff to identify their data analysis needs.
· Identify and gather available datasets to help answer research questions.
· Develop research plans, implement the research methodology, analyze data, and provide final reports and presentations as needed.
CDA supports the development of high-quality data products to support program planning.
· Develop map products in coordination with a team of graphic designers.
· Help to refine design standards to ensure quality control.
· Develop maps for both print and the web.
CDA manages a growing portfolio of data-driven applications for the company and its clients. The Spatial Analyst will be expected to:
· Consult on system architecture, coordinate with database administrators, and develop taxonomies for tagging spatial data.
· Manage a growing geoserver, making spatial data accessible to staff across the company.
· Grade 6: 3 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 1 year of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree.
· Grade 7: 4 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 2 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree.
· Grade 8: 5 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 3 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree
· Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analysis, including working with QGIS and ArcGIS.
· Experience developing complex cartographic products
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
· A passion for learning and desire work in a collaborative environment filled with creative, multidisciplinary, problem solvers.
· Proven development experience with R and RStudio or Python and Jupyter Notebooks for data analysis.
· Experience working with satellite imagery and image classification.
· Experience with Geonode.
· Experience with Mapbox.
· Experience working with business intelligence tools such as PowerBI or Tableau.
· Knowledge of statistical analysis methods from descriptive statistics to regression analysis and forecasting.
· Experience connecting to diverse data sources, including APIs and databases.
· Experience with PostGIS and PostgreSQL.
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.