Job Title/Grade: Senior/Lead Analyst, DAI Sustainable Business Group (7 or 8)
Department: Sustainable Business Group (SBG)
Reports to: Manager, SBG
Date: March 2021
Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
Function of the Position:
This is a full-time, professional position that will contribute to the DAI Sustainable Business Group (DAI/SBG). This position will be based in Bethesda, with an opportunity for overseas travel.
The DAI Sustainable Business Group (SBG) is a specialized unit supporting companies in their efforts to become smarter corporate citizens in their local business operations and assisting public authorities to develop policy, regulation and incentives that grow sustainable industries. We have key hub offices in London and Washington, DC. SBG has a dynamic and growing team, with a diverse talent base.
DAI SBG possesses and continues to develop unique products and services that help clients operate more sustainably and responsibly. We work with both the public and private sector across a wide range of geographies where we offer a range of advisory and implementation services in areas such as entrepreneurship and innovation, local supply chain and workforce development, renewables and access to energy, corporate social investment and strategy/policy development.
The Senior/Lead Analyst will primarily provide technical contributions to proposals and deliverables in conjunction with the team lead to make strategic decisions about technical delivery. With some oversight, the Senior/Lead Analyst supports work in-country and begins to undertake client-interfacing roles.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages below are illustrative and may evolve and/or change depending on the company’s needs.
Specific responsibilities will include:
1. Technical Delivery (60%)
- Support Team Lead in developing, disseminating and communicating scopes of work for team members
- Conduct background research and provide written and data analytical inputs to technical deliverables
- Review, edit, and format PowerPoint decks, reports, briefs, and economic models
- Package content to SBG standards and convention for client deliverables
- Develop subject matter expertise by growing into increased levels of project technical/operational complexity
- Lead collaborative team preparation of client documents/presentations
- Contribute to client presentations under guidance from Team Leads
2. New Business and Strategy (20%)
- Lead coordination of proposal development activities under supervision of client managers/directors
- Develop proposal budgets, including research for pricing and inputting technical content, for submission to SBG leadership
- Support strategic expansion of SBG portfolio based on technical and geographic priorities, which may include market research, client mapping, and potential partner engagement
- Support client managers/directors with external communication and content sharing as needed
- Maintain updated information in DAI’s client relationship management platform (CRM) under the direction of client managers/directors
3. Project Management (15%)
- Coordinate project team members, both in the home office and in field offices, for the completion of project milestones and deliverables
- Draft and process consultant contracts, subcontract agreements, and project budgets, etc.
- Collaborate with Operations and Finance team to review and process project invoices in Oracle
- Assist with logistics for project technical teams, including making travel arrangements as well as organizing and facilitating events to engage partners, stakeholders, and clients
- Under supervision of client managers/directors, provide inputs to Finance and Operations team on project financial performance, as needed
- Coordinate the administrative activities of the project, including onboarding and managing sub contractual partners and external experts, maintaining project files, and supporting requisitions for goods and services
- Perform start-up project management duties on larger projects, as needed
4. Knowledge Management and Product Development (5%)
· Proactively contribute to innovation and knowledge management initiatives, including supporting the development of new product lines and offerings
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of knowledge management products, such as lessons-learned documents and internal guides, in SBG’s technical library
- Contribute to design and delivery of internal training of others for inductions across SBGs products and services, as needed
- Develop guidance documents for communicating SBG products and services, under the direction of Management
- Contribute to and participate in internal technical knowledge sharing sessions such as ‘Brown-Bags’.
- Attend external events to capture learnings for key sectors and subject matter expertise
Additional duties as deemed necessary.
· Grade 7: 4 years of professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree, or a master’s degree and 2 years of professional work experience
· Grade 8: 5 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 3 years of relevant experience and a master’s degree
Equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
· Experience consulting for the private or public sector and/or experience working in industry related to one or more of the following: energy (access to energy, renewables, or oil & gas), entrepreneurship and innovation, circular economy, SME development, local content, corporate social responsibility, and/or corporate sustainability
· Experience supporting research and studies and helping to translate those findings into actionable plans and recommendations
· Strong qualitative and quantitative analysis skills
· Passion for international development and corporate sustainability issues
· Advanced working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
· Interest and ability to travel domestically and internationally, where feasible
· Experience with business development and/or proposal management
· Direct professional experience in frontier and emerging economies
· Language fluency/business proficient communication in a second language, specifically Arabic, Spanish, French, or Portuguese
Key competencies and behavioral attributes:
- Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed. Writes in a clear, concise, organized and convincing manner for the intended audience.
- Problem solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
- Decisiveness: Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
- Time management: organizes time effectively and utilizes self-management habits that lead to increased productivity
- Learning agility and adaptability: Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development opportunities.
- Relationship management: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills. Represents DAI institutionally and its values, serves as an ambassador for the organization.
- Flexibility to work with a fast-moving and evolving smaller team.
- Strong and authentic communicator both inside the team and in external presentations
- Strong collaborator: agility to learn from and in turn assist others in the team, including with colleagues working remotely
Supervisory Requirements: None
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.