Job Title/Grade: Lead Analyst/Associate Manager (8/9)
Department: Sustainable Business Group
Reports to: Senior Manager
Location: Global, although preference for Bethesda, MD or London, UK
Date: March 29, 2021
Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
Function of the Position:
The DAI Sustainable Business Group (SBG) is a specialized unit supporting companies in their efforts to become smarter corporate citizens in their local business operations and assisting public authorities to develop policy, regulation and incentives that grow sustainable industries. We have key hub offices in London and Washington, DC. SBG has a dynamic and growing team, with a diverse talent base.
DAI SBG possesses and continues to develop unique products and services that help clients operate more sustainably and responsibly. We work with both the public and private sector across a wide range of geographies where we offer a range of advisory and implementation services in areas such as entrepreneurship and innovation, local supply chain and workforce development, corporate social investment and strategy/policy development.
This role will serve as Principal/Project Lead for key projects globally within our portfolio, with a particular focus on business development and projects in the entrepreneurship and innovation space. The position will have responsibility for designing and managing key components for projects with our corporate and donor clients, as well as assisting in growing our pipeline of project opportunities, in accordance with our Strategy and Growth Plan.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Project Leadership/Service Line Delivery (70%)
· Oversee delivery of projects or components within projects; responsible for quality and timeliness of final products. Projects may include short-term/ongoing technical advisory work as well as long-termimplementation projects.
· Build client capacity, based upon in-depth technical knowledge and expertise across the needs of the full suite of SBG products and services.
· Support and then lead data-driven client technical advisory work associated with entrepreneurship and innovation, enterprise development, corporate social investment, or other sustainability service lines
· Assignments may include feasibility studies, stakeholder mapping, developing and delivering training sessions, conducting desk-based and in-country research, developing strategies and action plans and designing and running global / regional workshops.
· Provide technical quality assurance and oversight to team members contributing inputs to final client deliverable
· Manage and develop client relationships and ensure satisfaction and promote growth of the portfolio
· Input to the thought leadership and knowledge management required to evolve products and services
· Lead technical scopes in project design
· Build out case studies as new training content for DAI SBG’s suite of training services
New Business/Sales (20%)
· Support new business sales for SBG products and services through proactive client engagement and networking
· Contribute to and lead development of concept notes and proposals
· Support contract negotiations with key clients
Unit-level strategy, growth and knowledge leadership (10%)
· Help inform overall growth strategy and technical direction of SBG
· Represent SBG at specific events
· Develop thought leadership pieces (i.e. briefs, blog posts, email distribution pieces) to build DAI SBG
· Manage team members, as appropriate and assigned
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as business needs evolve.
· Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 5 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree;
· Grade 8: Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 3 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree;
· Experience consulting for the private or public sector and/or experience working in industry related to entrepreneurship and innovation, SME development, local content, corporate social responsibility, and/or corporate sustainability
· Experience leading projects/teams
· Experience conducting research and studies and translating those findings into actionable plans
· Advanced working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
· Interest and ability to travel domestically and internationally
· International experience, including international development work
Equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
· Multilingual (for example professional proficiency among the following: French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese)
· Experience leading in-person and virtual training sessions.
· Direct professional experience in frontier and emerging economies
· Familiarity with the field of entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship support
· Experience working with the oil and gas sector
Key behavioral attributes:
· Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed. Writes in a clear, concise, organized and convincing manner for the intended audience.
· Problem solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
· Decisiveness: Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
· Time management: organizing time effectively and utilizing self-management habits that lead to increased productivity
· Learning agility and adaptability: Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses;
pursues self-development opportunities.
· Relationship management: Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills. Represents DAI institutionally and its values, serves as an ambassador for the organization.
· Flexibility to work with a fast-moving and evolving smaller team. SBG is like working for a Start Up. We all do what needs to be done and we do it fast and to a high quality
· Strong and authentic communicator both inside the team and in external presentation.
· Comfortable with entrepreneurship/SME development and communicating coherently the service line opportunity for prospective client
· Strong collaborator: agility to learn from and in turn assist others in the team, including with colleagues working remotely
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.