Controls Technician – 3rd Shift
Date: Jan 19, 2021
Location: Painted Post, NY, US, 14870
Requisition Number: 43871
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
Provide off-shift electrical/controls support for production equipment in a fast paced and high-tech manufacturing environment. Equipment used includes Rockwell PLCs, Ethernet devices, ControlNet devices, VFDs, Servo motion, pneumatic/hydraulic control, Fanuc Robots, etc.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Monitoring, diagnosing and resolving equipment issues as well as providing support for process/equipment improvement initiatives as necessary. All work will be conducted safely in accordance with plant policy. Initiate and maintain relationships with engineering, operations and maintenance groups to understand problems and provide solutions. Programming environment will be primarily Rockwell Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk View for all equipment but will be expected to interface and troubleshoot additional devices such as VFDs, servo drives, MES systems, network switches, analog and digital sensors, etc. Work utilizing plant & division electrical controls standards. Serve as a technical resource for questions regarding deviation and interpretation as well as managing changes when resolving problems. Individual must be capable of executing assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8 hr. Night Shift, however, expected to work hours required to achieve plant objectives
Required Education & Experience:
- AS – Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 1+ years of engineering experience with demonstrated success supporting control and electrical systems.
- High level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges incumbent in the position. Ability and interest to learn, and apply, new technologies in support of overall technical objectives.
- Fundamental understanding of electrical design practices, machine / motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, robotics.
- Knowledge of control systems design, programming, and systems integration with understanding of open loop and closed loop control systems
- Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: control systems integration, controls architectures, PLC’s, motion control systems, electro-mechanical drive systems, robotics, part sensing, vision, risk assessment, and safety systems
- Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed team
- Possesses an understanding of general mechanics and ability to apply it in troubleshooting and system design
- Self-starter who is able to exceed expectations for their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills
- Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level
- Rockwell Studio 5000 & machine/motion control experience
- Fanuc Robot Experience
- Control system (PLC, motion control, safety devices, etc.)
- Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing
- Forward looking
- Knowledgeable in applicable national and international electrical and robotic design and safety codes
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning