Student Services Assistant IV – Office of Student Services
This position is located on the Ithaca campus within ILR School. During the COVID restrictions, this position will work remotely, until such time that the remote work restrictions are lifted based on University and unit guidelines.
The ILR School of Cornell University is the leading college of the applied social sciences focusing on work, employment, and labor policy issues and practices of national and international significance. We advance the world of work through teaching, research and outreach. As a land-grant college, we generate and disseminate leading-edge knowledge to solve human problems, manage and resolve conflict, and establish best practices in the workplace, and to inform government policy. Our mission is to prepare leaders, inform national and international employment and labor policy, and improve working lives. The school offers undergraduate and graduate education as well as career-long learning for professionals. To learn more about the ILR School please visit http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/.
To succeed in the Student Services Assistant role you will provide:
- A wide range of executive administrative support to the Director of Student Services and one Associate Director
- You will provide the first impression for the Office of Student Services by front line intake, assessment, and management of office clientele – students, staff, faculty, alums, parents
- Assist to coordinate and prepare correspondence relating to the Peer Mentor Program, New Student Orientation, Commencement, McPherson Awards, and all pertinent ILR student organization activities.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of materials for the Academic Standards and Scholarships Committee for their regular meetings throughout the year. Help keep records of and distribute academic action notification to students via SalesForce.
- Responsible for making purchases for the office
- Monitor the Office of Student Services mailboxes
- Enrollment management duties
In addition, if you’re the right person for this opportunity you should have previous experience providing:
- Excellent organizational skills to track scholarship accounts and communicate on award selections
- Prepare scholarship and award payments/stipends
- Coordinate the student employee hiring process, including position posting, application screening, interviewing and the selection process; responsible for training and supervising student employees, verifying and approving time cards for undergraduate student workers
· Associate’s Degree and 2 – 4 years of relevant experience in an office setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Strong written and verbal communication skills in order to communicate, with diplomacy and tact, with faculty, staff, and students
· Strong interpersonal skills in order to anticipate and assist with the needs of students, faulty, and staff
· Demonstrated outstanding customer service skills in order to manage high volume of traffic in a fast-paced office
· Demonstrated ability of maintaining confidentiality in order to manage highly sensitive, confidential material
· Excellent organizational skills in order to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and meet expected deadlines
· Excellent Outlook calendar skills in order to oversee and manage complex calendaring and schedules
· Ability to exercise discretion and make judgments independently of direct supervision
· Strong attention to detail in order to plan, organize and coordinate multiple projects, manage events and special assignments
· Previous experience with event planning or project coordination
· Familiarity with managing budgets, financial accounts, financial transaction forms such as voucher, travel reimbursements, and financial reports
· Ability to be a proactive team member in order to foster a positive and productive team environment
· Demonstrated experience and knowledge of Microsoft Suite including: Word, PowerPoint and Excel and other software programs such as Access or SharePoint
· Must be available to work Memorial Day weekend to participate in, and support, commencement activities. There is also a need for availability for December commencement.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
· Previous experience in a high-traffic student services office
· Previous coaching, delegating or supervisory experience that will aid in effectively providing guidance and delegation of work responsibilities to student employees who are hired to work in the unit
· Prior experience in an academic setting working with students and faculty
· Demonstrated experience working with web-based editing tools for website management
· Knowledge of and experience working with social media platforms
· Prior experience working with Salesforce and CollegeNet or other customer relationships management (CRM) system
· Experience with Cornell policies and procedures in the areas of purchasing and accounting
· Knowledge of Cornell on-line systems: KFS Dashboards, I Want Doc, Purchase Order, e-SHOP, and Travel
· Experience with PeopleSoft and R25 room scheduling software
· Comfort in adapting to the use of new technology
· Demonstrated history and continued commitment to Cornell University’s ideals and “Staff Skills for Success”
No relocation assistance or visa sponsorship provided for this positions.
This is a full-time, non-academic staff, benefits eligible opportunity.
Rewards & Benefits:
Cornell provides great benefits that include educational benefits, access to a plethora of wellness programs, employee discounts with local and national retail brands, health care options to choose from, generous paid leave provisions: 3 weeks of vacation leave, health and personal leave, 12 holidays (including end of year winter break through New Year’s Day) and superior retirement contributions.
Cornell has also been nationally recognized as an award-winning workplace for our health, wellbeing, sustainability, and diversity initiatives. For more information click here.
Interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter describing qualifications on-line at http://www.ohr.cornell.edu/jobs under staff positions section.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach resume and cover letter in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the ‘Drop Files Here’ box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate. Reference posting number: WDR-00025174
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities