Community Access leads the fight against New York City homelessness – as a provider of quality supportive housing since 1974, and through sustained advocacy for more housing.
The affordable housing model brings together various populations, including individuals with psychiatric disabilities, low-income families, veterans, and youth aging out of foster care.
A community residence program dedicated to helping people with psychiatric disabilities move from shelters and hospitals into the community and onto the path toward independent living.
The Housing Counselor oversees’ a supervised transitional housing community which is a community residence program dedicated to helping people with psychiatric disabilities move from shelters and hospitals into the community and onto the path toward independent living. We provide supportive housing to 14-24 community residents.
Position Type: Per-Diem
Shifts Available: Flexible Schedule
- 4pm -12am
- 12am -8am
Position Location: Manhattan – Lower East Side
Position Rate: $16.32
Apply Here: https://bit.ly/HousingCounselorManhattan
Essential Position Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the residents, organize socialization events and evening activities.
- Accompany residents on socialization activities both in and outside the site.
ADL Training and Coaching:
- One-on-one and group training and coaching on the development of essential life skills with a focus on independent living.
- Provide close observation and keep accurate records of residents taking their medications.
- Inform appropriate staff when a resident is not taking his/her medications as prescribed or has missed a dosage.
- Observe and assist residents in packaging their medications. Provide coaching and follow up to foster self-medication skills
- Provide hands-on assistance to residents in keeping the personal areas clean and orderly.
- Maintain cleanliness of site, including bathrooms, garbage disposal and kitchen cleaning.
- Assist residents with sleep hygiene (good sleep habits which promote normal, quality nighttime sleep) routine.
Physical safety and security:
- Provide accurate documentation of activity in-house.
- Observe and document residents’ interactions; provide interventions, as needed.
- Provide crisis management, as needed.
Meal Preparation and Coordination:
- Serve pre-made nutritious meals for residents and prepare plates for those not present.
- Engage residents in meal preparation to provide hands-on assistance to prepare meals, from menu selection through cooking and clean-up.
- Escort residents on food and household shopping excursions as a way to develop residents’ skill and confidence.
Administrative and Clerical:
- Answer phones, take messages and provide routine information about
- Handle packages in accordance with the package policy.
- Provide holiday coverage.
Position Education Qualifications:
- Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Be skilled in conflict mediation/negotiation/resolution and have an assertive approach to problem-solving
- Ability to utilize various computer programs; specifically, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Be creative and flexible
- Maintain confidentiality of information, as related to the position
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Get fingerprinted and cleared by the Office of Mental Health (OMH)
- Ability to lift 40 lbs
Health and Wellness Benefits:
- 403b contribution (company match)
- Pre-tax savings plan
- Employee Assistance Program