Mixed tenancy development for individuals with mental health concerns, individuals and families with histories of homelessness, and low-income families.
The Harm Reduction Specialist provides engagement and support services, particularly to program participants around drug and alcohol use, sexual health and self-harm, using a harm reduction model.
In addition, the Harm Reduction Specialist provides consultation, training, and support to program staff in their work with program participants engaging in risky behaviors. The intention is that the Harm Reduction Specialist will be a leader in promoting Community Access? commitment to providing services using a harm reduction model.
Position Type: Full Time
- Bruckner Ave – Bronx, New York
- Polite Ave – Bronx, New York
Position Salary: $22.06/hour
Apply Here: https://bit.ly/HarmReductionSpecialistBronx
Essential Job Functions
- Using the model of harm reduction, assess tenants’ needs for services, including outreach, counseling, education, referral, etc., at the program site and plan services accordingly.
- Develop and support strategies to meet the needs of individuals in need of support, including individuals using drugs/alcohol, people living with HIV/AIDS, individuals involved in sex work/survival sex, people with diabetes, individuals at risk for violence.
- Provide training and education on the harm reduction model, including HIV prevention strategies, for staff and program participants.
- Provide recovery-oriented support services and outreach to assigned program participants
- Develop and assist in implementing person-centered service plans determined by the goals of program participants.
- Assist program participants by advocating for quality care from external service providers.
- Assist program participants in maintaining apartments free from unsanitary conditions and safety hazards, utilizing individualized strategies, e.g. teaching, feedback, demonstration, and other forms of hands-on interventions, as needed.
- Maintain a resources list and provide referrals for treatment for psychiatric disabilities, substance use, and health problems, as directed by program participants.
- Provide crisis intervention, as necessary.
- Provide support and training on skills-building, including assertiveness, self-advocacy, socialization, and other related issues.
- Provide holiday, evening, and weekend coverage, as necessary.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Bachelor degree, preferred.
- At least two years of experience working within a harm reduction model.
- Thorough understanding of harm reduction.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and skills in areas such as, but not limited to: engagement, harm reduction, motivational interviewing, conflict mediation
- Must be fingerprinted and cleared by the New York State Justice Center.
- Skill in articulating program goals.
- Be skilled in conflict mediation/negotiation and have an assertive approach to problem-solving.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to speak other relevant languages, dependent upon specific needs of program participants.
Benefits We Offer:
- 3 weeks of vacation, 5 personal days, 12 sick days, 10 paid holidays
- Travel Reimbursement
- College savings plan Pre-tax savings plan (including Flexible Spending Accounts and Transit Check)
- 403b contribution; life insurance
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental plans; Employee Assistance Program
- Summer Flex Hours
- Paid Family Leave; Short-Term Disability insurance