Hibbing Taconite Company
Reliability Engineer (Mechanical)
Hibbing Taconite (HTC) began production in 1976 and made its initial shipment in January of 1977. HTC is ISO certified in Quality and Environmental Management Systems and is a joint venture owned by Cleveland-Cliffs (85.3%) and US Steel (14.7%). It has an annual rated capacity of 8.0 million gross tons a year.
Hibbing operations consist of an open pit truck and shovel mine, a concentrator that utilizes single stage crushing, autogenous (AG) mills and magnetic separation to produce a magnetite concentrate, which is then delivered to an on-site pellet plant. From the site, pellets are transported by BNSF rail to a ship loading port at Superior, Wisconsin.
Job Posting Title :
Position Summary : The Reliability Engineer is responsible to manage the Condition Based Maintenance Program. They will do this by working with the Planner and other Maintenance Supervisors in order to establish priorities and best practices for analyzing and planning preventative maintenance projects based on previous data.
- Manage the predictive maintenance (PdM – Vibration, Oil, thermal) process. Develop or improve routes and intervals, coordinate with vendor or internal technicians, adjust as needed based on pareto analysis, initiate work orders as needed to plan and schedule repairs.
- Monitor and improve the equipment MIM’s lost production information to allow for detailed pareto downtime analysis to allow accurate analysis of unscheduled equipment downtime and component failure. Develop a total life cycle cost report and other ad hoc reports to identify improvement opportunities.
- Initiate and manage a preventable maintenance program. This would include “low tech” failure analysis and root cause failure analysis on all failure work orders to make adjustments to operating practices, maintenance procedures, materials replacement, or PM frequencies.
- Ensure that all pieces of equipment have a preventive maintenance (PM) checklist and that the work packages are current. Monitor compliance to PM schedules and work with maintenance planners to review and adjust PM checklists, optimize intervals and content to improve the preventive maintenance processes to eliminate unscheduled equipment downtime.
- Review operations inspection checklists on oil levels, temperatures, pressure readings, flow rates and general visual observations for content, interval, and completion to ensure inspections are proper. Take action as needed.
- Implement and manage a component tracing program to identify and recommend new materials or parts to extend life and reduce cost per ton.
- Manage an equipment/component/environmental activity of the month program.
Develop and implement a PdM/(MIM’s) integration strategy.
Achieve a percent compliance to process equipment PM’s of 100% and a percent unscheduled maintenance man-hour goal of <5%.
The ideal candidate will have the following education, work experience, and abilities:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience/knowledge in processing plant equipment
- 3-5 years experience in engineering or a related field Experience/knowledge in maintenance and reliability systems
- Experience in Maintenance Planning and Scheduling methodologies/standards and the application of such to optimize craft resources
- Demonstrated commitment to the continuous increase of knowledge and the application of such
- Effectively present materials to a group of people (safety meetings, tool box talks.)
- Proficient skills in a Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (Work Order, Standard Jobs, APL’s, and Scheduling modules) and business operating systems(GAP.) If currently unfamiliar with these systems, must have the capability to become proficient within 6 months.
- Ability to assign/reassign tasks, explain why a task is to be done a particular way, and provide effective coaching while a task is being performed.
- Capable of ensuring value by setting clear expectations, limits and accountabilities to direct reports through: Guidance, instruction, performance standards and consistency in follow-up and appropriate feedback on performance.
- Demonstrates the skill of teamwork through actively participating on cross-functional teams or work groups.
- Able to provide accurate information for developing departmental budgets as required and demonstrates responsible decision making through purchases consistent with the budget in the day-to-day requisitioning of parts and materials.
- Proficient skills in project management tools and methodologies.
- Proficient computer skills in MS Office (Outlook, MS Word, Excel, Project.)
- Competitive Salary
- Excellent benefits
- Bonus program
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Discounts
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company will not sponsor applicants for this position for work visas.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., including its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Cleveland-Cliffs”), is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement . Cleveland-Cliffs is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace, and requires all prospective employees to undergo a pre-employment background check and post-offer medical exam, including an alcohol and drug screen.