THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM CIVIL SERVICE
Appointment and continued employment is at the pleasure of the Department of City Development Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner, City of Milwaukee.
The Marketing and Communications Officer plans and implements media relations and public relations activities for the Department of City Development, the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Economic Development Corporation, and the Port Milwaukee.
Media and Public Affairs
- Initiate and respond to external contacts, including those from the news media; serve as the primary spokesperson and media resource for the Department of City Development (DCD), the Redevelopment Authority of the City of Milwaukee (RACM), Milwaukee Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) and the Port Milwaukee.
- Coordinate and develop information required to respond to external requests for information.
- Provide strategic advice regarding media inquiries.
- Serve as the liaison with Mayor’s Office, other City departments, other units of government, business owners, and business associations concerning communications relative to economic development activity.
Production and Written Communication
- Write speeches and create the associated visual support such as PowerPoint presentations; create op-ed pieces and statements for the DCD, RACM and the Port Milwaukee.
- Write annual communication plans for the DCD, RACM, and the Port Milwaukee.
- Develop communications tools, including annual reports.
- On behalf of DCD, RACM and Port Milwaukee, coordinate the response to sensitive requests for information generated by media representatives through the Wisconsin Open Records law.
- Represent the DCD, RACM and Port Milwaukee in regular meetings with other City governmental communications managers.
Conditions of Employment:
- Position will require working variable hours as required by the needs of the department, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Will require travel to various sites throughout the City of Milwaukee.
- Based upon each department’s responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and the needs of each department, employees may be expected to work from home intermittently or continuously.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, public relations, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of experience in media affairs, public relations, or communications, performing duties closely related to this position.
- Valid driver’s license is required at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and professional experience will be considered.
You must submit the following documents by the application close date. All documents should be emailed to the Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong at email@example.com. Please indicate “Marketing and Communications Officer” in the subject line.
- Two writing samples(media press releases, news stories, or publications-any combination) that you have written (500 to 1,500 words per sample). NOTES: Do not refer to a web link. Do not send originals, as writing samples cannot be returned.
- College transcripts. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, university name, degree completed, and degree completion date.
College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be emailed to the Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org- Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Communications:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations, communications, and media affairs.
- Expert-level knowledge of and ability to apply the conventions of writing.
- Expert-level skill in proofreading and ensuring documents are error-free.
- Ability to provide strategic advice on communications issues.
- Ability to read and interpret job-related documents, such as open records laws, industry publications, and legal documents.
- Skill in using computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, strategies, best practices and the associated use of analytics.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Superior written and visual communication skills to be able to prepare compelling, audience-appropriate, and publication-ready scripts, speeches, press releases, digital content, marketing materials, reports, and correspondence.
- Highly developed verbal communication and presentation skills to represent the department effectively, and the ability to effectively communicate to a wide variety of audiences (public, news media, residents, business owners, developers, elected officials, governmental officials, etc.).
- Ability to identify and build relationships with business associations and community organizations related to the work of the department.
- Ability to exhibit cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to exhibit an exemplary level of cultural competence.
- Ability to ensure mechanisms for obtaining feedback and input from persons with diverse backgrounds and to ensure the consideration of the role of cultural, social and behavioral factors and in the accessibility, availability, acceptability and delivery of public messaging and media relations.
Judgment, Management and Analytical Skills
- Ability to plan, organize, and accomplish work, manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Skill in analyzing and solving problems, as well as the ability to exercise sound judgment. Ability to use sound judgment to analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions.
- Ability to perform well under pressure.
- Time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Honesty, integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Interested individuals must submit a resume, a letter of interest, and two writing samples (media press releases, new stories, and/or publications of 500 to 1,500 words per sample) by email to the Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong at email@example.com. Please indicate Marketing and Communications Officer in the subject line. Questions may be directed to Human Resources Officer, Vanessa Armstrong by email or by phone at 414.286.6076. The deadline for submission of application materials is Wednesday, April 21, 2021.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of City Development reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to an interview. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision.