Responsible for managing the network, storage and server infrastructure in order to enhance and extend the City of Garland Information Technology network to all areas of the City. This position will also be responsible for acting as a technical consultant to City Staff and outside vendors in order to plan and install network, storage and server equipment, software, and cabling systems to satisfy bandwidth needs.
Target Hiring Range: $83,221/year – $106,808/yr
Essential Job Functions
- Install and administer server infrastructure in coordination with IT Team or outside vendors.
- Monitor and maintain server, storage and network performance and capacity after modifications and updates.
- Investigate and resolve problems with performance and response time for server, storage and network infrastructure.
- Provide solutions that will accommodate emerging technologies and future capacity needs.
- Determine future capacity requirements and prepare budgetary documentation for future requests.
- Participate in needs-analysis and requirements definitions with other City personnel to determine project scope.
- Assess user needs in order to perform necessary upgrades to hardware and software.
- Consult with service providers on leased circuits and wide area communications projects.
- Maintain network security through securing the network infrastructure, storage and servers from cyber threats.
- Maintain professional Microsoft and Cisco certifications, as necessary.
- Assist in the training and development of other members of team.
- Maintain remote connectivity solutions.
- Create and maintain documentation on supported systems.
- Respond immediately to lead or assist problem resolution efforts after normal business hours.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
– Four-year college degree
– 7 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge – Abilities & Skills
- Four-year college degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study
- 7 – 10 years experience installing and managing Microsoft Windows servers, Linux servers, Active Directory, and Cisco LAN, WAN and Wi-Fi infrastructures
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to manage and monitor vendor hardware and software network acquisitions
- Comprehensive knowledge of acquisition and installation of network security software and conduct intrusion testing
- Comprehensive knowledge of the major components of network, storage and server infrastructure- hardware, software, cabling systems.
- Ability to utilize and manage software systems of Microsoft Office suite, Microsoft Server/Active Directory, Palo Alto and Cisco systems.
- Ability to evaluate and manage software and database systems of CommVault, VMware ESX, Microsoft SKL and Linux.
- Ability to communicate with users to define system requirements and resolve problems.
- Effective collaboration with peers and vendors on the efficiency of the systems supported.
- Ability to create and maintain appropriate documentation for support and compliance purposes.
- Serve as a mentor to junior staff.
Licenses & Certifications
– Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) and/or Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) or ability to obtain within first 6 months of employment.
– An industry recognized security certification is a plus.
– Valid Class C Texas Driver’s license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. The position requires that the incumbent be able to lift 30 pounds, work in close / cramped areas, work in dusty conditions, work in low-light conditions and be able to sit, stand, kneel, crouch and bend for brief periods of time. The position requires that the incumbent be able to work while standing on a ladder or other appropriate device to elevate the incumbent to the level of the work. The incumbent must be able to use fingers to feel and have sufficient dexterity to sort and hold small wires and install small connectors into sockets. The incumbent must be able to discern a broad spectrum of colors used in network cable. The position requires occasional outside work and the ability to work on-call as needed for urgent issues.