Responsible for planning, directing, and leading all aspects of the City’s economic development programs from initial concept to full implementation. Working collaboratively with internal and external partners, this position is responsible for building the City’s economic base, recruiting new business and redeveloping commercial nodes and corridors. Also, this position is responsible for promoting the City as an economic development destination, as well as championing economic development programs, projects and activities.
Essential Job Functions
- Direct economic development activities to secure a strong City revenue base by promoting business growth, attraction and retention through implementation and coordination of strategies and tactics focused on encouraging a healthy and stable business environment.
- Develop programs and materials to market the City to prospective business recruitments and investors.
- Assemble successful development and redevelopment projects by identifying opportunities, recruiting development partners, and mobilizing available City tools.
- Perform a full range of marketing and public relation activities; perform research of economic information and provide market data; prepare and present information at meetings of various organizations and groups,
- Oversee and provide information and direction regarding the City’s Economic Development web page and other online resources.
- Serve as the liaison for the Economic Development Department to other departments, and outside agencies; act as the liaison between business organizations, individual businesses, and the City; provide information and resources including interpretations of codes and ordinances; coordinate parallel efforts; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Participate in the City’s planning processes regarding recommendations and strategies for improvements to facilities, infrastructure, utilities, transportation and other amenities to attract new businesses while retaining existing businesses.
- Establish and maintain communication and cooperative relationships with business leaders, developers, organizations, private and public agencies, educational institutions, business and community groups and the general public to promote and facilitate the implementation and execution of the City’s economic development programming.
- Meet with a variety of individuals and groups to provide information, enlist support, resolve issues, plan, coordinate and promote economic development programs, projects and activities.
- Participate in industry association conferences, trade shows, and other educational opportunities to remain up-to-date on the latest trends, ideas, practices and innovations in maximizing the City’s opportunities for sustainable economic growth.
- Conduct special studies and prepare comprehensive reports for Senior Management and City Council related to economic development, redevelopment and real estate activities.
- Assist with domestic and international company recruitments and the expansion of existing companies by processing incentive applications and assisting with zoning and planning.
- Support the revitalization and redevelopment of catalyst areas as identified in the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Oversee and direct staff and assist in their long-term success.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
v Master’s Degree in Economic Development, Urban Planning, Public Administration, Business Administration, Real Estate Development, Geography or related field
v 5 – 7 years of professional experience working in economic development
v At least 2 years of management experience at a department head level or higher
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge – Abilities & Skills
- Master’s Degree in Economic Development, Urban Planning, Public Administration, Business Administration, Real Estate Development, Geography or related field
- 10 years of professional experience working in economic development or as a planning professional with increasing responsibilities in economic development administration and/or programming
- 5 plus years of management experience at a department head level or higher
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) certification
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Business acumen and understanding of domestic and international economic development
- Extensive knowledge of economic development finance programs including establishing tax increment financing and public improvement districts and economic development agreements with major investors
- Extensive knowledge of latest trends in the field to develop innovative financing tools and grants; and promoting innovation and entrepreneurship
- Advanced aptitude for the appropriate computer software and programs applicable to the job
- Ability to develop mechanisms to report on the performance of programs, services and budgets
- Ability to analyze public policies, make recommendations and use cost-benefits analysis tools
- Ability to speak publicly representing the city, working with boards, public groups, private sector and partner agencies
- Ability to interface with upper management and leaders of various private and public organizations
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Adept at creative and innovate ways of marketing the City and identifying prospective businesses for relocation purposes
- Ability to meet project deadlines while remaining flexible and adaptable to address unexpected priorities as they evolve
Licenses & Certifications
– Valid Class C Texas Driver’s License
– Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) certification from the International Economic Development Council preferred
– American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification from the American Planning Association preferred
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Models Organizational Values