This position provides engineering support and the execution and the administration for the design and implementation and/or delivery and execution of consultant and contract services for all projects required for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. Address customer inquiries related to permitting, stormwater management, or drainage.
Supplemental Job Description and Examples of Duties, including but not limited to:
Stormwater Management Engineer:
- Desire to learn City policies, rules and regulations of stormwater management infrastructure for all existing, proposed improvements/retrofits and new construction
- Learn to perform review of stormwater infrastructure projects of residential and non-residential developments.
- Performs engineering and design work of the stormwater infrastructure projects, manages design and construction of contracts and projects
- Plans and manages stormwater management projects, programs and operations to ensure planning, development and construction are in compliance with all applicable City/State/Federal codes and regulations and according to all acceptable engineering practices
- Review and approve stormwater retrofit projects
- Interest in Green Storwmater Infrastructure
- Interest in stormwater management program development or watershed planning
- Basic knowledge of ArcGIS preferred
- Interest in stormwater regulations and compliance
· Excellent written skills needed to support development of technical products, tools, support documents, and training materials.
· Strong oral communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
· Must be proficient in the use of standard word processing, spreadsheet, database, GIS software, and other Microsoft Office applications.
· Work well as a team member
· Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) as directed
· Work effectively with minimal supervision
· Complete specialized technical assignments
· Develop effective working relationships with other business units as well as external vendors and customers
· Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrate proficiency in written communication
· Communicate frequently with team members and other units across the Department about process, equipment or potential problems
· Effectively utilize appropriate security and safety equipment and procedures
· Maintain regular and reliable attendance
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil, environmental, or water resources engineering.
Engineering and construction management experience preferred
E.I.T. (Engineer In Training) certificate preferred