The Research Chemist will organize, plan, and perform analysis with limited direction to ensure timely completion of testing for a wide range of materials for cement and concrete. This position will review laboratory testing procedures and work with assigned personnel to assure that testing procedures are performed within specified standards, ensuring an efficient laboratory is maintained and testing is compliant with all specifications. This individual assists the Laboratory Manager in creating and maintaining the highest quality results demanded by all CalPortland facilities.
- Maintain equipment and calibrations for laboratory equipment to meet or exceed all internal and external quality standards
- Prepare, analyze, and report results through a fully-equipped laboratory designed for this purpose
- Prepare reports to determine the precision and accuracy of test results
- Conduct testing as per applicable (ASTM, AASHTO, ACI, EPA, etc.) test methods
- Maintain lab housekeeping and inventory supplies to maintain continuity of quality control/quality assurance testing
- Evaluate laboratory needs, equipment, testing, and quality requirements to ensure accurate analytical testing as required for regular and special projects
- Interface with Laboratory Manager and Technical Services group to assist with the daily operation of the Central Laboratory and resolution of customer issues and complaints
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or related college degree
- Master’s degree in Inorganic Chemistry preferred
- Other degrees may be acceptable depending on work experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Knowledge of cement, concrete and aggregate testing with respect to current ASTM, AASHTO, ACI, and EPA standards
- Must have strong math, analytical and attention to details
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Must be well-versed in Microsoft Office basics (i.e. Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in problem-solving
- Interpersonal skills to facilitate working relationships with all levels of management and staff
- Experience in a quality control/quality assurance material testing laboratory
- Appropriate NRMCA and ACI certifications
At CalPortland, we’re proud to offer a comprehensive, competitive benefits package that provides health and financial support to our most important resources: our employees. Your benefits are an important part of your overall compensation at CalPortland. That’s why we give you a wide range of benefits to choose from. All regular full-time employees may enroll in a variety of health and welfare plans including medical, dental, and vision plans. Other benefits include life insurance, disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and a retirement program. The company also has a variety of voluntary benefits for employees to choose from.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidate must submit to post-offer pre-employment physical examination, drug/alcohol screen, and background check. Some positions require FMCSA regulated on-going drug and alcohol testing.