Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source is a state-of-the-art, medium-energy (3-billion-electron-volt, or GeV) electron storage ring that produces x-rays up to 10,000 times brighter than the NSLS. The mission of the National Synchrotron Light Source is to provide extremely bright x-rays for basic and applied research in biology and medicine, materials and chemical sciences, geosciences and environmental sciences, and nanoscience. To support this program, the NSLSII must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate and focus electron and X-ray beams. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the NSLSII scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The NSLSII supports an international user community of over 2,200 researchers from 400 universities. The NSLSII performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Vacuum Group at the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) has an opportunity for a Technical Supervisor. Reporting to the Vacuum Group Leader, the candidate will be responsible for supervising the installation, operation, maintenance, repair, and upgrading vacuum systems and support equipment of the Synchrotron Storage Ring including the LINAC, Booster and associated Beamlines, as well as other support projects throughout the laboratory and other DOE facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of technicians to ensure work is performed in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Respond to operational failures and coordinate the appropriate response.
- Develop shutdown maintenance schedules and submit work requests.
- Perform WCC (work control coordinator) duties for job planning and screening.
- Work with system engineers and existing technical team to provide technical support to develop, maintain and upgrade vacuum systems.
- Supervise the fabrication, assembly, installation, commissioning, troubleshooting and repair of vacuum system electronics and I&C (Instrumentation and Control) systems related to the accelerator.
- Provide technical expertise in the following areas:
- Vacuum cleaning and brazing.
- Leak checking and troubleshooting vacuum systems.
- Operation, maintenance and repair of accelerator vacuum systems.
- Installing, fabricating, assembling, commissioning, troubleshooting, repairing, and operating mechanical and electro-mechanical components for vacuum systems and related equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field, considerable technical and job-relevant training, and ten (10) years in-depth and related work experience in a broad technical field, which includes demonstrated technical and/or supervisory leadership skills.
- Experience with construction and operation of particle accelerator systems and/or vacuum systems.
- Experience with a minimum of (3) of the following: bakeout carts, turbopump systems, ion pumps, non-evaporable getter pumps, titanium sublimation pumps, residual gas analyzers, vacuum gauges and their associated controls.
- Experience with high voltage power supplies.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and interact with a diverse group of scientist and technical staff.
- Ability to work from drawings, schematics and verbal instructions.
- High degree of proficiency in the use of hand tools.
- Microsoft Office
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (experience with one or more of the following):
- EPICS (Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System) and CSS (Control System Studio) interface.
- Machine shop equipment and practices.
- Leak checking, vacuum furnace brazing or UHV cleaning.
- PLC programming and wiring.
- Wire and cable termination, cable routing and rack mount equipment installation.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Arm/hand dexterity,
- Ability to climb low to moderate heights
- Lift (up to) 30 lbs
- Visual Acuity
- Function in cool temperature environments
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file