By applying to this job, you will be considered for all Research Associate I opportunities across The Broad Institute. Available for Spring 2021 graduates only. You do not need to apply to an individual Research Associate I posting if you have applied to the Spring 2021 application. You will have the opportunity to indicate your scientific areas of interest in your application. Allow for 10-15 minutes to complete the initial application process as it needs to be completed in one sitting. Please note, in order to expedite your application, all necessary application materials must be received. Continue to check your email for updates once you’ve completed the initial application process.
Candidates applying for a Research Associate I position through the Broad Biomedical Post Baccalaureate Scholars (BBPS) Program should also complete this application, and select “BBPS” when prompted. The application deadline for the BBPS program is January 18th. To learn more about eligibility and benefits of the program visit broad.io/bbps
This application will officially close on Friday, April 9th. The application for RA-BBPS roles will close on Monday, January 18th.
The Broad Institute is an amazing place – we apply our deep knowledge of human genetics to empower a revolution in biomedicine and accelerate the pace at which the world conquers disease. Through our partnerships with MIT, Harvard, and the Harvard teaching hospitals, we’ve become a worldwide hub of cutting-edge biomedical science.
The Broad was founded to explore the applications of genomic medicine and now conducts research in infectious disease, cancer, psychiatric disease, inherited diseases and basic research in life sciences. This research is pushed forward through our scientific platforms which serve as centers of technological innovation and development that provide the tools and experience necessary to conduct experiments at a massive scale.
About the position:
The research at the Broad Institute covers a wide variety of scientific areas. As a Research Associate, you will play an integral role in supporting research efforts using a vast array of wet laboratory techniques. You will work as part of a dynamic team, pose challenging questions, analyze results from your own experiments and others, and present research findings.
We are looking for enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a strong desire to contribute to these efforts.
Why do your research at Broad:
- You can make a difference in biomedicine — Whether you study the biological basis of cancer or look for the genetic code behind debilitating psychiatric disease, you are laying the groundwork for future therapies that will change lives.
- You will gain invaluable experience — You will work closely with a wide network of physicians and scientists. Broad uses state-of-the-art technology and empowers ambitious research efforts – it is truly an experience that is unparalleled by any other biomedical research institution. If you choose to pursue a graduate or medical degree, you will be well prepared for the next stage of your career.
- You will be supported in your efforts to learn and grow — Every week there are talks open to the Broad community on a variety of scientific topics, often hinging on results that have not yet been published. Many current RAs rave about the mentorship they have received from other Broadies and the variety of social events that allow them to positively enrich their professional network.
We pride ourselves on being creative and forward-thinking not only in the way we approach our science but also in the way we support our people. Check out a sampling of our benefits:
- 3 weeks vacation, 12 paid holidays plus an annual winter closing from Christmas to New Year’s
- Commuter passes subsidized at 50%
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year
- Free FitBit
- Fooda, on-site lunch available for purchase from local vendors every day
- LeanBox, vending machine of fresh, healthy snacks available at subsidized prices
- Free on-site yoga, meditation and boot camp
- Discounts on entertainment, goods, and services through Working Advantage
- BroadLife office hosts regular seminars and discussion groups to help you deal with a diverse array of work-life issues and make it easier to integrate work, personal and family commitments
- Broad RATS (Research Associates/Technology Specialists) affinity group connects and empowers early career scientists and fosters their scientific and personal development
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Bachelor’s degree expected in Spring 2021
- Majored in any life science, chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering or similar degree program
- 1-4 years of undergraduate independent research experience (outside of coursework)
- Exceptional organizational skills, critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and external collaborators
- Proven ability to work independently with guidance and mentorship
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Desire to learn, develop and execute new assays or lab techniques
- Interest in staying with the Broad for a minimum of two years
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.