As a member of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Hypertension, the research assistant will work on several NIH and CDC funded clinical studies and health interventions together with the Principal Investigator and other members of the research team. Working under general supervision from the Principal Investigator, Co Investigators, and following established policies and procedures the research assistant will coordinate and carry out study-related activities. Study activities may include: recruiting potential subjects and evaluating patients for studies: collecting and organizing patient data: scheduling patient for study visit; performing clinical tests such vital sign collection, EKG’s, etc; maintaining and updating data generated by the study.
This position provides an opportunity to engage in a dynamic clinical research setting and is ideal for candidates interested in pursuing careers in medicine, nursing, clinical research, or public health.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the implementation of the studies related to cardiovascular disease risk in women.
- Recruits and evaluates potential study subjects. Per protocol instruction, conducts telephone interviews and schedules subjects for study visits and screening. May be required to perform clinical test such as EKGs, vital signs, coordinate visits and specimen collection.
- Supervises study visits; work in coordination with CCI staff to carry out study visit protocol.
- Interacts with research subjects to inform them about study procedures and expectations, and connects subjects with PI or other health professionals for follow up as needed.
- Manages and maintains the study’s subject database, which includes inputting data, analyzing trends, and running various reports.
- In conjunction with study staff and PI, implements and maintains research protocol, data collection systems, institutional review broad approval, and regulatory documentation.
- Performs RPDR searches and medical record reviews for data abstraction.
- Assists PI with the preparation and submission of grant applications, renewals, reports, and manuscripts.
- Schedules and coordinates weekly meetings and teleconferences.
- Creates PowerPoint presentations and conducts literature searches.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies.
- Monitors and sets up needed equipment.
- Maintains log of charges to research accounts.
- Trains and oversees research volunteers and/or interns.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- BS or BA degree required.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Skills / Abilities / Competencies Required:
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism
- Careful attention to detail.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants.
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical or research problems.
- Knowledge of clinical research protocols.
- Ability to demonstrate respect for subjects’ rights and individual needs.