We are a clinical research group investigating advanced chronic kidney disease (CKD) and end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Our research efforts center around understanding hemodynamic stability, cardiovascular outcomes, and symptom management in the ESRD population. Additionally, our research focuses on identifying biomarkers for CKD and slowing the progression of CKD. The research assistant will work closely with our team to assist in the efforts of multiple ongoing studies and clinical trials.
This is a full-time position with us seeking a two-year commitment. This is an excellent opportunity for a graduating senior looking to take two years to work before applying to graduate or medical school.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assistance on clinical research studies as per study guidelines and protocols.
- Recruits and evaluates potential study patients. Per protocol instruction, conducts telephone interviews or schedules patients for study visit and screening. May be required to perform clinical tests such as EKG’s, vital signs, etc.
- Interacts with patients/subjects with regard to study, including patient education, procedure instruction, follow-up. Serve as a liaison between patient and physician.
- Responsible for collecting data and maintaining patient information database for study. May be required to input data, do minimum data analysis and run various reports. Maintains patient’s records as part of record keeping function. Conduct chart reviews for data analysis.
- Responsible for mailing various study information and packets to study participants.
- Answer phone calls and inquiries regarding study protocol. Refers patients when appropriate to principal investigator or co-investigators.
- Act as a study resource for study participants and their families.
- Communicate regularly with PI (s) about all aspects of clinical research study. Oversees IRB compliance and assists with protocol submission.
- Ensure that knowledge of regulatory requirements is current by reading and attending local seminars related to policy and regulatory issues (FDA, NIH, IRB, etc.).
- Monitors and sets up any needed equipment.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies when necessary.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- BA or BS from an accredited university, minimum GPA 3.0. Prior laboratory and clinical experience encouraged, but not required.
- Attention to delicate patient populations. We are dedicated to working with the clinical staff to ensure that our patients can safely complete our studies. Applicants should feel comfortable working in various clinical settings. Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study participants. Strong oral and written communication skills. Knowledge and experience in the Microsoft Office suite as well as general ability to learn new software. Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks. Careful attention to detail. Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects’ rights and individual needs.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills required for working with study participants.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical or research problems and issues, and to interpret the acceptability of data results.
- Knowledge of clinical research protocols.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect for subjects rights and individual needs.
- Knowledge of data management programs.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.