Four-year Electrical Engineering degree and some experience or equivalent combinations of training and/or related experience. Successful review of electrical work practices required.
Provides input and technical expertise for power generating construction projects. Additional requirements are: General Contractor support of Engineering review, procurement (if necessary), construction, and start-up of a high or medium voltage electrical system and associated substation. Responsible for installation guidance, QA/QC enforcement, scheduling support, and owner correspondence. Review and final submittal to Owner of Engineer As-builts, and project system packages (Job Books). Assists Electrical Superintendents with supervision of electrical subcontractors to ensure a safe, productive quality job is attained and costs are controlled in the construction field operations
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews bid package for accuracy, completeness, and electrical work scope for electrical subcontractors and BEI electrical personnel.
- Communicates with Electrical Superintendent for immediate review of electrical information and any changes to the job.
- Coordinates electrical work with other job planning and functions such as foundation, erection and tower wiring.
- Ensures use of all company resources; and adherence to all company policies and state and federal regulations.
- Use of required electrical reference codes and electrical safety code publications.
- Coordinates subcontractors to maximize production and minimize costs.
- Acts as an electrical consultant to supervisory and field personnel in the areas of expertise for transmission lines, inter-connect systems, switchgear installations, electrical circuits, power quality, and high voltage collection/distribution systems.
- Participates in weekly meeting with Electrical Engineers, Electrical subcontractors, Owner (SME’s) and Utility interconnect personnel. Brings necessary information forward that may impede design or construction. Assists with supervision of all projects Electrical subcontractors, Electrical engineers to ensure effective use of project resources as well as industry processes. Has a clear understanding of production goals and cost and identifies job cost reduction opportunities.
- Conducts monitoring and inspection of electrical subcontractor installation activities and progress.
- Responsible for safe working conditions and procedures including becoming personally trained for future review and / or participation in the following: switch and tag procedures, approaching distances, arc flash, protective equipment, and rotation and voltage check.
- Ensures a safe work environment by complying with company’s safety polices as well as complying with federal and state safety regulations. Ensures all subcontractor equipment, materials, and small tools are in safe operating condition. Needs to collaborate with the Electrical subcontractors and Engineers that project will strive for “Zero” accidents. potting or Partial discharge tests). Assures there are written procedures, POD, and a new formal plan if changes are needed.
- Communicates with Electrical Superintendent to update him/her on project problem areas.
- Assists Electrical Superintendent communicating and negotiating with owner regarding major project decisions.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of project schedule as needed. Effectively schedules the work with Electrical engineer, Electrical contractors, Utility groups, and Owner (SME’s) in accordance with the project baseline schedule. Variations need to be shared with Electrical Superintendent or if directed share with Project Manager and also Owner representative. Assists site team with short interval plan (two week look ahead) and Plan of the Day
- Compares and continuously monitors actual costs to the job estimate and informs Electrical Superintendent / Site Manager of cost over-runs.
- Assists the Electrical Superintendent in establishing the Project Electrical budget (Engineering, Construction, and Interconnect.) Assists Electrical Superintendent in expediting change orders and changes to project Electrical budget. Reviews equipment with Engineer and Owner to utilize most cost effective equipment that is approved for the construction site.
- Schedules equipment and subcontractors to effectively utilize all resources.
- Arranges for engineering support and consultation as needed as well as provide for peer review of critical electrical issues.
- Works with Site Manager to fill in during absence of the project Electrical Superintendent, to the extent of being qualified and trained. Immediately communicates the need if temporary support is required from another qualified and trained Electrical Superintendent or Avon Electrical.
Additional Job Functions:
- Electrical Overhead Transmission
- Electrical Underground and Collection systems
- Substation Construction
- Transmission Utility Interconnect
- Electrical Engineering
- Communication System
- Assures that all electrical workers are qualified and trained for the technical and safety aspects of work they are performing. When training is needed follow through to make sure the needed training is provided in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record.
- Extensive travel is required throughout the United States with extended periods of time spent at jobsite locations (i.e. weeks or months at a time).
- Combination of electrical training and electrical construction field experience, as well as the ability to perform administrative tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Basic understanding of safety construction, commissioning, and testing electrical systems.
- Ability to progress toward supervising a large number of employees.
- Good communication skills to deal with owners, subcontractors, and employees.
- Possess a solid understanding of tracking job progress, costing and formal reporting.
- May be required to become a qualified individual in pursuit of company contract licensing, or a journeyman or master electrician license.