MINDS OVER MATTER – Barnhart has built a nationwide reputation for solving problems. We specialize in the lifting, heavy-rigging, and heavy transport of major components used in American industry. Barnhart is committed to continuous improvement and to be the best heavy lift and heavy transport company. Our customers can expect Barnhart to aggressively pursue innovative ways to lower overall project costs and improve safety.
NETWORK – Barnhart has built teams that form one of the industry’s strongest network of talent and resources. We have over 45 branch locations across the U.S. working together to serve our customers. This growing network offers our team members constant opportunity for career growth and professional development along with the opportunity to serve others within and outside the company.
ONE TEAM – Barnhart has a strong team culture — the “One TEAM.” We are looking for smart, hard-working people who strive for excellence in their work and appreciate collaboration. Join a team that values Safety, Quality Service, Innovation, Continuous Improvement, Fairness, and Profit with a Purpose.
Purpose: To engage in the Barnhart sales process by providing Barnhart Sales Team members with engineering concepts, estimates, and support material that aid in winning safe and profitable jobs.
Responsibilities and Principal Duties:
- Assist Barnhart Sales Team in creating innovative heavy-lift/heavy-transport solutions. Focal points for Sales Support Engineering during the solution development phase include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Technical accuracy and risk assessment. Methods are vetted by Sales Engineer to ensure capacity of proposed equipment is not exceeded. Sales Engineer addresses with sales team operational areas of high risk that can impact personnel safety, job financial performance, and customer relationship.
- Opportunity optimization. Methods should be selected that increase job efficiency, reduce overall project costs, and minimize risk exposure to job and customer personnel.
- Innovative Barnhart equipment selection. Sales Engineer shall focus on implementing Barnhart tools into solutions that increase Barnhart’s competitive advantage project execution efficiency.
- Next Best Alternative (NBA) analysis. NBA analysis is the process of determining the typical methods of completing requested work scopes without the use of Barnhart methods, processes, and equipment. This is critical in selecting the appropriate method and pricing strategy for proposals.
- Perform jobsite walkdowns with Barnhart Sales lead as needed to procure information needed for solution development and/or to improve customer relationship.
- Provide project engineering support to contracted work as assigned by Manager. Project engineering support includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Design parameter and method statement creation
- Equipment layout drawings
- Steel design and load bearing calculations
- Regular and clear communication with project, field, and (if required) customer teams.
- Onsite engineering support as needed during execution stage of project.
- Meet opportunity and/or project deliverable dates as set by Sales/Project team and Manager.
- Work and act in a way consistent with the company Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Create other support material that aids in the proposal creation or project engineering process. Examples include reference charts, Microsoft Excel templates, writing whitepapers on industry specific topics, etc.
- Develop understanding of all facets of the heavy rigging and transportation industry including:
- Equipment Knowledge – Working knowledge of Barnhart equipment, load charts, features, operational best practices, and:
- Competitors Equipment — NBA
- Industry standard rigging equipment (ex: shackles, turnbuckles, etc.)
- People knowledge – Must be familiar with all skills and qualifications of Branch Personnel matching those to the required job
- Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering discipline from ABET accredited institution.
- Experience: Prefer experience in construction industry.
- Other Skills:
- Ability to work both independently and as a team
- Must work safely in a fast-paced environment – many times under pressure
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Mechanical aptitude preferred
- Able to troubleshoot equipment problems and quickly determine corrective actions
- Creative thinking skills to make continuous improvements
- Proven organizational skills
- Ability to confront people when needed and become a leader through example
- AutoCAD and solid modeling experience preferred but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Flexibility to work long hours as needed, some weekend work required
- Proven record of high performance in service-oriented field.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to travel as needed and engage with the Barnhart culture in support of opportunity and project-based efforts.
Work Environment: Barnhart Service Center, Barnhart branch offices, project field locations
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the incumbent in this position. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.