The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world’s population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a strategic-minded Program Manager to lead a new initiative aimed at spreading awareness and expanding the use of artificial intelligence (AI) tools and automation technologies by U.S. local news organizations. This is a temporary grant-funded position, lasting approximately two years.
Overview: The focus of the initiative is to use AI to cultivate journalistic and business technology applications that can support local news franchises in their pursuit of sustainable business models. The program manager will work with AP and its academic and technology partners to develop and implement this unique program.
Reporting to the SVP, director of strategic planning, the program manager will launch and manage an evolving track of work with selected local news organizations. The program will begin with a general awareness campaign and educational workshops in the first year and advance in the second year to include direct consulting work with selected local outlets on targeted projects.
The leader of this initiative will be critical to its overall success and must be able to help build and communicate an inspiring narrative around the potential impacts of AI at the local level and likewise be able to oversee a slate of transformative consulting projects selected as case studies for real-life implementation. The manager will work with internal AP and external industry stakeholders to identify the resources needed to execute a successful program; liaise with philanthropic, university and technology partners; oversee grant reporting; and assess the prospects for longer-term sustainability of the initiative beyond the life of the grant.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate is a media innovator who will:
- Oversee the development of an educational curriculum on AI that helps news organizations understand the applications for business sustainability, drawing on industry use cases and experts.
- Identify and solicit local news organizations for the program with a strategic outreach plan that assesses the skills and resources needed to be successful.
- Develop a consulting section of the program.
- Work with key university partners to identify specific projects and develop road maps for delivering them by the end of the grant period, sourcing other resources as needed.
- Work with partner organizations to coordinate projects, share resources and best practices.
- Communicate the results of the work internally and externally.
Qualifications: The program manager should have broad familiarity with the application of AI technologies in the media business and ideally some direct experience in implementing one or more applications. (A background in data science, computer programming or AI engineering is not required, but the successful candidate will be able to operate comfortably at the intersection of news and technology and be conversant in the diversity of fields to be explored.)
The program manager must be self-motivated and highly organized, with a demonstrated history of successful project management, bringing complex initiatives involving multiple teams from ideation to implementation. The ability to work effectively as a member of a team and have experience participating in collaborative projects involving more than one organization is essential. Ability to write clear and compelling reports, often working on tight deadlines and with multiple team members, is imperative. Clear communication and inspiring storytelling skills will bring this position and program to life.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Five years of experience developing and implementing successful programs and two or more years of management experience
- Knowledge of the local media landscape in the U.S.
- Ability to effectively multi-task, provide consistent follow-up and prioritize strategically
- Ability to travel as needed
- Advanced-level professional competency with the Microsoft Office suite of software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
This position will be managed from AP’s New York City headquarters. Due to Covid restrictions, we are currently working on a remote basis. When the restrictions are lifted, the successful applicant may work from AP’s New York office or on a fully remote basis anywhere within the United States.
Authorization to work in the U.S. for any employer is mandatory. Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required.
The application period will expire at 11:59pm on May 11, 2021.
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.