Graduate Lighting Consultant – Available June 2021
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Develop concepts and strategies for lighting projects, with senior team members
- Lighting calculations (Architectural and Daylighting)
- Produce lighting modeling including building computer and physical models (3-D and 2-D)
- Develop visual materials to represent lighting designs, including inside of PhotoShop and 3D Studio max
- Report writing
- Working on projects using 3D AutoCAD
- Giving structure to ideas – lots of “taking a first pass” at spreadsheets, reports and analyses for discussion later rather than instruction
- Attending meetings and learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
- Working with people from other disciplines and/or vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects
- Attending meetings – listening, asking questions. Be involved in discussions with other disciplines and Architects to gain knowledge & experience.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Architectural or Interior Design, Lighting, or Architectural Engineering
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Core interest in the lighting design industry with an emphasis on the daylighting or Architectural lighting design
- Understanding of lighting fundamentals including photometric quantities, calculation techniques, and light source types
- Ability to model in 3D via Rhino and AutoCAD
- MS word, Excel, AGI 32, Revit etc.
- Conversational and visualization ability to explain spatial design
- Coursework in Architectural or Lighting Systems Design and/or Building Systems Design
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Internship experience in a consulting firm with emphasis on electrical design
- Academic research or testing with relevant focus
- Membership in IES and Student IALD
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, Radiance, and technical writing
- Skilled in hand sketching
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
- Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
- WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
- Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
- Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
- Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Queen’s Way West Revitalization, Canada
- Agora Convention Centre in Bogota
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share – paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) – with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.