Location: Work from home position or Lancaster, PA. A great central location in South Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, great shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants.
As our Sustainability Engineer, you will support our sustainability initiatives and our product and operations sustainability commitment. Additionally, you will be responsible for coordinating with technology, innovation, and marketing to update and maintain our sustainable materials platform and product transparency disclosures. Coordinates audits for energy, waste, and water at our facilities.
Why should you join Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions in the Americas. With approximately $1B in revenue, AWI has about 2,500 employees and a manufacturing network of twelve facilities.
At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or restaurants, we offer interior solutions that help to enhance comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall performance, and create beautiful spaces.
For more than 150 years, we have built our business on trust and integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people we’re here to serve – our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our employees.
We are committed to developing new and sustainable ceiling solutions, with design and performance possibilities that make a positive difference in spaces where we live, work, learn, heal and play. It’s an exciting, rewarding business to be in, and we’re committed to continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all of our stakeholders. We hope you join us.
What does it mean to work at Armstrong?
It means being immersed in a supportive culture that recognizes you as a key player in Armstrong’s future. We are a large company with a local feel, where you will get to know and collaborate with leadership and your colleagues across the company.
By joining us, you’ll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. Alongside a competitive remuneration package, you will receive:
- A benefits package including: medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, 401k match, long-term disability coverage, vacation and sick time, product discount programs and many more.
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests.
- A casual work environment where we have a recognition program for our team, and service awards. You will also be able to make the most of our fitness center and lunchtime cafe.
- A working culture that balances individual achievement with teamwork and collaboration. We draw on each other’s strengths and allow for different work styles to build engagement and satisfaction to deliver results.
What you’ll be doing:
- Coordinate audits for energy, waste, and water at our facilities
- Utilize our sustainable materials platform/database to validate the sustainable attributes of products and creates product transparency disclosures
- Serve as a member of the Sustainability Team managing audits of and promoting energy, water, and waste management best practices
- Monitor industry best practices in resource efficiency and identify where efficiencies can be improved to meet 2030 Goals
- Maintain healthy cross-functional relationships and build matrix relationships outside of immediate team
- Demonstrate project management experience to support sustainability pillar leaders in key projects to achieve the Company’s Sustainability Goals
- Assist business units and technical teams in evaluation of product development alternatives and process development alternatives.
- Support businesses’ need to respond to customer and other stakeholder audits, as necessary.
What will make you successful:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or related technical field
- 1+ year of work or equivalent research experience, preferably in an environmental field and/or in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent project management skills to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to determine actionable projects that achieve results
- Passion for sustainability and doing the right thing while helping the Company to be successful
- Knowledge of chemical inventory analyses and supply chain initiatives
- Ability to employ analytical, communication and teamwork skills to influence direction across a complex global organization
- Success managing multiple projects to meet overarching objectives
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical teams
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the specific ability to work in teams
- Capability to build relationships with other functions, which will be essential with such activities as teaching teams and transferring knowledge
- Ability to work independently with a hands-on approach
- Exceptional organization, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Previous experience in chemical inventory management
- Previous experience working on water and energy reduction and waste/recycling programs