If you want to accelerate your career growth and are passionate about applying your expertise to solve problems of national importance then we have the job you are looking for! You will be able to achieve your personal and professional goals in a stable environment that emphasizes and rewards the entrepreneurial spirit.
Take the project we’re now working on. You will be working on a team that is building a cloud-based development environment. You will work with a multi-disciplinary collaborative team of hardware and software engineers and security specialists to design and implement a secure cloud-based software development and maintenance environment. You will be part of our employee-owned international research and engineering company. ARA is recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences, and you will be on this team.
- Responsible for systems support and configuration of operating systems, virtualization, virtual desktop services such as Amazon Workspaces and Identity Management technologies such as Active Directory on our Amazon Web Services cloud platform. Participates in cloud design and implements configurations to meet the program and customer needs. Provides expert level support in troubleshooting, incident responses to restore services, as well managing the prevention of recurring incidents.
- You will work with customers to understand and elicit requirements and build intuitive, interactive, and flexible user interfaces that address complex problems
- You will be working closely with a collaborative team so your team player personality and excellent written/oral communication skills will be essential.
Due to the work you’ll perform and interactions with intelligence community and DoD programs you must be a US citizen and will need to be eligible to apply for and hold a US Security Clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment).
Staff Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Requirements:
- 5 – 7 years of relevant experience with Bachelor’s Degree computer science, IT, or a related field OR 3 – 5 years of relevant experience with Master’s Degree
- Support, configuration, and release management of virtual servers, operating systems, storage systems, and associated system management technologies to ensure systems are secure and highly available
- Provide technical and operational support in a multi-tenant cloud infrastructure
- Provide tier III level support for incidents to ensure systems are returned to service as soon as possible
- Obtain and inspect syslogs, error, and support logs for recurring incidents, issues, or potential problems
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure consistent cloud environment provisioning, uptime, regulatory compliance, and data protection
- Provides capacity planning, performance analysis, assist with disaster recovery and testing
- Provides recommendations on cloud infrastructure upgrades and supports project integration as required
Staff Cloud Infrastructure Engineer Preferences:
- Knowledgeable in Active Directory and associated system technologies
- Knowledgeable in Identity Access Management (AWS IAM) and Shared Security responsibilities
- Proficient in cloud infrastructure and security best practices
- Applied experience delivering infrastructure-as-code solutions using tools such as Terraform, Salt, Packer, CloudFormation
- Knowledgeable in cloud networking architecture design, distributed systems, and deployment strategies
- Knowledgeable in networking, common network protocols and services (DNS, SSH, FTP, HTTPS), VPNs, compute infrastructure such as servers, databases, firewalls, load balancers, etc
- Preferred experience with Agile software development and project management
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,400 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) calculator!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) & 401(k) with matching program, benefits package which includes medical, dental vision, flex spending, telehealth services, company-paid life & disability insurance including paid maternity disability leave through our company-paid short-term disability benefit, domestic partner coverage, dependent care flex spending, daycare discounts, pet insurance, relocation opportunities, floating holidays, tuition reimbursement, professional development as well as flexible schedules with remote/work from home options. ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.