If you want to accelerate your career growth and are passionate about applying your expertise to solve problems of national importance then we have the job you are looking for! You will be able to achieve your personal and professional goals in a stable environment that emphasizes and rewards the entrepreneurial spirit.
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary collaborative team of cloud, DevOps, hardware, software and security engineers to design and implement a secure cloud-based software development environment. You will be part of our employee-owned international research and engineering company. ARA is recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences, and you will be on this team.
- You will design and implement an architecture that:
- Uses Red Hat’s Kubernetes distribution OpenShift as the foundation
- Automated access to a suite of shared services, including software development tools.
- Automated deployment and upgrades of the environment using infrastructure and configuration as code
- Automated compliance on restrictions to cloud services
- You will work with customers to understand and elicit requirements and build intuitive, interactive, and flexible solutions to complex problems
- You will be working closely with a multi-disciplinary collaborative team so a team player personality and excellent written/oral communication skills will be essential.
For this position, it is preferred that the candidate relocates to Raleigh, NC but full-time remote is an option. However, occasionally work will need to be performed in a secure space so if full-time remote is preferred by the candidate occasional travel will be required.
Staff Cloud Engineer – Raleigh/Remote Requirements:
- U.S Citizenship Required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, or a related field with 5 – 7 years of relevant cloud experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance
- Experience deploying and administering Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS or Azure
- Experience with IaC/CaC technologies such as Terraform, Ansible, etc
Staff Cloud Engineer – Raleigh/Remote Preferences:
- Experience with Red Hat OpenShift or Rancher
- Active DoD security clearance
- Experience building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with developing extensions to Kubernetes such as Operators, Controllers and Custom Resource Definitions
- Experience with Helm
- Programming experience (e.g. Python, Golang, etc.)
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,400 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) calculator!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) & 401(k) with matching program, benefits package which includes medical, dental vision, flex spending, telehealth services, company-paid life & disability insurance including paid maternity disability leave through our company-paid short-term disability benefit, domestic partner coverage, dependent care flex spending, daycare discounts, pet insurance, relocation opportunities, floating holidays, tuition reimbursement, professional development as well as flexible schedules with remote/work from home options. ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.