Join Ames Community School District, where your journey matters! ACSD promotes an educational environment that is racially, ethnically, linguistically, and culturally diverse to broaden students’ academic experience and to enrich our District. We are focused on creating and supporting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion within the organizational culture and in our community.
Ames Middle School is seeking a Science Teacher for the 2021-2022 school year.
The mission of the Ames Community School District is to ensure that all learners develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, values, and personal esteem necessary to grow in and shape a changing society.
Under the direction of the Middle School Administration, provide students with learning activities and experiences in the areas of Science. Plan instructional lessons that meet the needs, interests and abilities of students; create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning; and employ effective instructional techniques.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Exhibits a comprehensive understanding of the content, discipline, and related pedagogy as demonstrated through the quality of the design and facilitation of lessons and the ability to align instruction with Iowa Core Standards, including an emphasis on incorporating science practices into the instructional process.
- Prioritizes educational equity and improvement for all students, emphasizing practices to produce equitable outcomes and opportunities for all students.
- Develops and implements timely lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of the district’s curriculum program and show evidence of preparation as required. Prepares lessons that reflect accommodations and/or modifications that differentiate for individual student needs.
- Plans and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect the understanding of the learning styles and needs of students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques, integrates and actively uses technology and media consistent with the needs of the individual student.
- Works to ensure high levels of learning, social-emotional development, and achievement outcomes for all students, taking into consideration each student’s educational and developmental background and focusing on each student’s needs.
- Reviews and analyzes multiple sources of data incorporating both formative and summative assessment to measure and assesses student growth aligned to instructional goals and course objectives and to adjust instructional strategies and content delivery as needed.
- Interacts in respectful ways with students at all times, maintaining a physically and emotionally safe, supportive learning environment that is characterized by efficient and effective routines, clear expectations for all student behavior, and organization that maximizes student learning.
- Assists in selecting resources, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation, in alignment with state standards in the assigned subject areas.
- Works to establish and maintains open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and the behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- Holds oneself to the highest standard for individual development, pursues leadership opportunities, collaborates with other educational professionals, communicates regularly with stakeholders, maintains professional relationships, complies with all campus and school district policies, and conducts yourself ethically and with integrity.
- Establishes, maintains and applies personal and professional growth through the use of technological resources and a variety of methods, such as independent research, learning new technological applications and attending district professional development opportunities aligned to campus and District goals.
- Attends work on a consistent and punctual basis.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Valid Iowa teaching license, K-8 or 5-12 Science Endorsement
- Demonstrated competency in the subject area(s) assigned
- Ability to pass a background check
Knowledge & Other Qualifications
- Use effective problem-solving techniques in dealing with concerns or issues
- Ability to work effectively as member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Collaborative team player with a growth mindset
- Observe all District policies and procedures
Essential Physical Requirements
- Occasional lifting five (5) to ten (10) pounds
- Frequent standing
- Occasional bending, squatting, or sitting
Closing: May 21, 2021
Candidates, please follow the link to apply online: https://www.applitrack.com/amesk12/OnlineApp/JobPostings/View.asp?AppliTrackJobId=534
All employees of the Ames Community School District must pass a background check. ACSD is an E-Verify employer.
To learn more about the Ames Community School District, visit our websites:
It is the policy of the Ames Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy please contact Kristin Johnson, Human Resources Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, District Offices, 2005 24th St. Ames, IA 50010, (515) 268-6610.