Established in 1946, the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the world’s largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world. AIR works with federal, state, and local government agencies, philanthropies and other organizations to conduct research and evaluation and provide technical assistance in the areas of education, health and workforce development, in the U.S. and abroad.
AIR is currently seeking a Test Development Assistant for our Education Statistics program area to provide subject matter and large-scale assessment technical support to the National Assessment for Educational Progress (NAEP). This position will provide content support in reading/English Language Arts and technology education at the K-12 level and will be on a team responsible for reviewing assessment items, the assessment delivery platforms, and integration of those items into the delivery platform. In addition, the position will assist senior staff in conducting small scale investigations to improve item quality. The position requires the ability to work with members of a larger team whose mission is to help ensure the quality of the NAEP assessments. This position can be located out of any of the following AIR locations once offices are reopened: Crystal City, VA, Rockville, MD, Austin, TX, Chicago, IL, Chapel Hill, NC, or Waltham, MA.
- Reviewing and documenting comments for new NAEP items and scenario-based tasks for content accuracy, language clarity, tablet-based functionality
- Drafting content clarifications for NAEP assessment frameworks and specifications documents
- Conducting side-by-side reviews of revisions to assessment items and tasks
- Assisting senior staff in conducting small scale investigations related to NAEP item quality and scoring
- Assisting senior staff in content-based framework and item pool comparison studies
- Conducting site-visits to observe development and administration activities
- Attending client and contractor meetings
- Summarizing and tracking key points from meetings
- May work on short-term projects such as conducting cognitive-based cognitive labs or subject specific technical reviews, as needed
- Bachelors degree in Education or related field with some K-12 classroom or school related experience
- Teaching experience in reading/English Language arts or educational technology is preferred
- Spanish skills are a plus
- Excellent organization, time management, and oral and written communication skills
- Efficient writing skills
- Ability to collaborate within a team environment
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.