This applicant pool may be used to fill additional openings within 90 days of the posting close date.
- This is a technical position involved in and responsible for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of a drinking water plant and auxiliary facilities.
- This position requires the Operator to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, and nights and may be assigned on-call or standby duty.
- The Operator makes decisions pertaining to the operation of machinery and equipment based on visual or audio information collected from devices and instruments.
- The Operator performs laboratory analysis of water samples to ensure safety and quality.
- The Operator directs actions during emergencies and serves as a contact for internal and external customers (i.e. after hours and weekend dispatching).
- The Operator monitors the natural gas distribution system and responds to abnormal conditions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree in drinking water or wastewater technology
- High school diploma or equivalent PLUS one year or more experience in operation of a public drinking water system or in application of drinking water treatment technology.
- One year or more demonstrated experience operating and maintaining water treatment equipment as a surface water treatment plant operator is strongly preferred.
Must possess one of the following at the time of application:
1 Wisconsin Waterworks Operator Certification, subclass S (surface water), grade T or grade 1
2 Wisconsin Waterworks Operator Certification, subclass G (ground water), grade 1.
3 Minnesota Water Supply System Operator Certification, Class A, B, or C, with work experience in a Class A, B, or C drinking water facility.
For applicants already possessing the certification(s) described in bullets 2 and/or 3 above, the Wisconsin Waterworks Operator Certification, subclass S (surface water), grade T or grade 1 must be obtained within six months of start date (if not already in possession).
-SWL&P will sponsor the cost of one subclass S Certification exam or reciprocity application within the six month period.
-In the event the successful candidate doesn’t pass the subclass S Certification exam or receive subclass S certification by reciprocity he/she can make arrangements to retake the exam more times than what is sponsored by the company, as long as they have fulfilled the requirement of possessing the certification within six months of start date.
-If the successful candidate does not possess the Wisconsin subclass S, Grade T or grade 1 Certification within six months of start date, they will be deemed disqualified, placed in layoff and will be unable to reapply for the Water Plant Operator position until they have obtained the certification.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to successfully complete a physical work screen.
- This position requires shift work and frequently working alone.
- This position may be subject to emergency call outs to provide shift coverage.
- This position may be subject to assessment of skills, job match and/or aptitude.
Employer will not sponsor Visas for position.
External applicants must apply online via www.allete.com/careers.
ALLETE is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, marital status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, please contact our Human Resources department at 218-723-7553.