PennLive, in partnership with Spotlight PA, is looking for a creative News App Developer to develop and design interactive data visualizations and news apps to elevate the impact of our award-winning journalistic work, produced for the benefit of communities and readers across Pennsylvania.
Our newsrooms are committed to building a culture and staff that reflects and supports the diversity of the communities we serve.
In this role, you will:
- Create products that affect change in Pennsylvania. We pride ourselves on the ability to balance quick-turn data visualizations and enterprise (Vaccine Provider Map, Tracking Evictions) with longer-term projects (Examining District Judges’ Calendars, Pipeline Interactive, COVID-19 Tracker).
- Develop interactive data visualizations and news apps to elevate the impact of our stories
- Work on a daily basis with Spotlight PA (a collaborative newsroom reporting on state government and statewide issues) and on occasional in-depth projects with PennLive.
- Collaborate with other journalists to promote the use of video, audio, maps, interactives and graphics to create unique storytelling experiences to delight our readers
- Wrangle data, including scraping, cleaning and analyzing, and create graphics with tools or with your own code
- Work independently, while maintaining operational communication with your editors
- Keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences, including engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings
We’re looking for candidates with:
- Experience and usage in front-end web development
- Recognition of the value of data-driven watchdog journalism and background in journalism a plus
- Interest in the challenge of presenting that data in compelling ways that engage readers Mobile-first thinking that is responsive and accessible
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing interactive graphics from scratch
- Experience with creating news apps with Django, Flask, React or other tools
- In-depth knowledge of mapping tools such as QGIS, Mapbox, Leaflet.js, etc.
- Knowledge of Adobe tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop or Premiere to edit assets
We’re willing to consider remote work, preferably within Pennsylvania. Occasional travel to office may be required.
Include a link to your portfolio when applying or samples of your work.
PennLive is part of AdvanceLocal, one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies. We’re also, along with The Philadelphia Inquirer, a founding partner of Spotlight.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
PA Media Group is a digitally focused news and information company which publishes and operates PennLive, The Patriot-News and a growing suite of digital and print products. The Pulitzer Prize winning Patriot-News has been serving the communities and people of central Pennsylvania since 1854. PA Media Group is committed to being the most comprehensive, in-depth source of news and information for readers throughout the state.
PA Media Group is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.