If you have at least one year of teaching experience and/or are certified, consider a lead teaching position with us.
1) Read the position description below.
2) Apply through Handshake to let us know you’re interested.
3) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to start an application on our website.
4) Keep an eye on your email to hear next steps from us.
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Location: Providence, RI; Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, CT; Brooklyn, NY
Salary: 40K in RI & CT, 50K in NY
The Role of Teacher-in-Residence (Assistant Teacher) at Achievement First:
We strongly believe that you learn best by doing, receiving support and guidance, and trying again. As a teacher in residence at Achievement First, you have a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. The residency, a partnership between Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay GSE) and Achievement First, is designed specifically for recent college graduates and career changers who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession.
The residency is for those who want to be at the center of this work, engaging with hard-working students with unlimited potential, while taking master’s-level courses specifically designed to sharpen pedagogical knowledge. The teaching residency will lead to a culminating understanding of what it means – and what it takes – to be an effective classroom teacher. You will become the driver of high-quality instruction that builds strong content knowledge and a lifelong love of learning.
You will become your students’ champion who believes all students are capable of greatness and achievement far beyond what society has been conditioned to accept. You will come to demand excellence of yourself and your students, the warm and unyielding classroom presence that encourages and accepts nothing less than students’ best and most thoughtful work. Upon successful completion of your first year, you will be able to demonstrate pedagogical mastery and create a pathway for a lead teaching position.
At Achievement First, you will grow as a passionate and constant learner who thrives on feedback, enjoys regular one-on-one coaching and nurtures a voracious appetite for professional development. You will cultivate classroom cultures built on strong structures, communication and lasting relationships. Every day, you will shake the hands and contribute to the education of children who will go on to become first-generation college students and return to our communities as the next generation of game-changers.
The TIR program is divided into three categories:
- Elementary TIRs – working in grades K-4
- Humanities TIRs – working in grades 5-12
- Science & Math (STEM) TIRs – working in grades 5-12
As a Teacher in Residence at Achievement First, your typical week may include the following, and so much more:
- Observe and co-teach in a Resident Advisor’s classroom- a veteran teacher who serves as your mentor and coach.
- Attend weekly Deliberate Practice with fellow Teachers in Residence across the network to practice and receive feedback on your execution of an upcoming lesson plan.
- Lead Book Club with a group of 3-7 scholars daily.
- Grade and analyze exit tickets to determine which scholars need small group intervention.
- Moderate Quiz Bowl competition after school.
- Support outstanding academic achievement and student character development.
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment that excites and invests students as they reach their full potential.
- Build classroom community and relationships with families, participating in a powerful team that ensures all students make outstanding academic progress.
- Support individual students through one-on-one tutoring or small group instruction.
- Support lead teachers in one or more subject with grading, preparation of class materials and classroom management with increased teaching responsibility throughout the year, as appropriate.
- Assist the lead homeroom teacher in running a structured homeroom in the morning and serve as an advisor to 5-10 students.
- Provide coverage (as needed) when teachers are out of the building.
Professional Learning, Development and Growth
- Collaborate with Resident Advisor to evaluate and improve mastery of instruction, culture building, and leadership skills.
- Attend weekly teacher in residence professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings, and informal learning and development opportunities, in support of constant growth.
- Observe high-performing teachers throughout the school.
- Complete Deliberate Practice pre-work to sharpen your pedagogical knowledge prior to practice.
Skills and Characteristics
- A commitment to Achievement First’s mission, deep love of content, and an unwavering belief that all students can and will succeed.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0. Degree must be conferred by July 1, 2021.
- If your GPA is between 2.5 and 3.0, you may submit additional recommendations to be considered.
Salary for this position is 40K in Connecticut and Rhode Island and 50k in New York. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials as well as a laptop computer.
As a lead teacher, you will be salaried at a rate commensurate with placement and experience.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/
After you apply on Handshake to let us know you’re interested, apply with us directly:
Click a position below to begin your application. Please only apply to one position.
If you’re interested in our other listings, you can visit our website.
Once you apply on our website, we’ll review and invite you to complete a video interview. If your video interview is strong, we’ll move you forward to the final interview.
Please send any questions to: